How Does Bending Knees Reduce Impact Force During a Jump?

• Thread starter chipsdeluxe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: AZING. In summary, a 66.9-kg man can reduce the force of impact by bending his knees upon landing. In a stiff-legged landing, he comes to a halt in 4.11 ms and experiences a net force of -68690.5 N. When he bends his knees, he comes to a halt in 0.278 s and experiences a net force of -68690.5 N. Taking into account the directions of the forces, the magnitude of the force applied by the ground on the man in part (b) is equal to the net force, which is -68690.5 N.
chipsdeluxe
When jumping straight down, you can be seriously injured if you land stiff-legged. One way to avoid injury is to bend your knees upon landing to reduce the force of the impact. A 66.9-kg man just before contact with the ground has a speed of 4.22 m/s. (a) In a stiff-legged landing he comes to a halt in 4.11 ms. Find the magnitude of the average net force that acts on him during this time. (b) When he bends his knees, he comes to a halt in 0.278 s. Find the magnitude of the average net force now. (c) During the landing, the force of the ground on the man points upward, while the force due to gravity points downward. The average net force acting on the man includes both of these forces. Taking into account the directions of the forces, find the magnitude of the force applied by the ground on the man in part (b).

Please help. this is how i solved the problem which is wrong:

a. Mman=66.9 kg
Vman=4.22 m/s
T=4.11 ms (1/1000)=0.00411 s
i used the equation:
F=-(m/t)v= -(66.9/0.00411)(4.22)=-68690.5 N
b. i used the same equation and only changed the time
c. i don't even know where to begin and i can't solve this until i get part a and b right.

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
In these kind of questions you should use the fact that the impulse J equals:
J = avgF*delta t. and J also equals the change in momentum J = m(Vf-Vi)
with those two equations you should be able to solve it.
I'm not sure what equation you were using?

chipsdeluxe said:
When jumping straight down, you can be seriously injured if you land stiff-legged. One way to avoid injury is to bend your knees upon landing to reduce the force of the impact. A 66.9-kg man just before contact with the ground has a speed of 4.22 m/s. (a) In a stiff-legged landing he comes to a halt in 4.11 ms. Find the magnitude of the average net force that acts on him during this time. (b) When he bends his knees, he comes to a halt in 0.278 s. Find the magnitude of the average net force now. (c) During the landing, the force of the ground on the man points upward, while the force due to gravity points downward. The average net force acting on the man includes both of these forces. Taking into account the directions of the forces, find the magnitude of the force applied by the ground on the man in part (b).
Please help. this is how i solved the problem which is wrong:
a. Mman=66.9 kg
Vman=4.22 m/s
T=4.11 ms (1/1000)=0.00411 s
i used the equation:
F=-(m/t)v= -(66.9/0.00411)(4.22)=-68690.5 N
b. i used the same equation and only changed the time
c. i don't even know where to begin and i can't solve this until i get part a and b right.
thanks in advance
Your approach is correct.
The net force provides the acceleration:
[tex]F_{avg}=ma_{avg} = m\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}[/tex]
Your answer for a. appears to be correct.

But this is not the only force on the body. We are ignoring gravity which is acting (downward) at all times. But because it is balanced by the ground, it does not result in any downward acceleration. So the vector sum of all forces is:

[tex]m\vec g + \vec N = m\vec{a_{avg}}[/tex]

Solve for N.

AM

What is the Impulse-Momentum Theorem?

The Impulse-Momentum Theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that relates the change in momentum of an object to the impulse applied to it. It states that the impulse applied to an object is equal to the change in momentum of the object.

What is impulse and how is it related to momentum?

Impulse is the force applied to an object over a period of time, and is equal to the change in momentum of the object. This means that a larger impulse will result in a larger change in momentum, and vice versa.

How is the Impulse-Momentum Theorem used in real life?

The Impulse-Momentum Theorem is used in various real-life applications, such as sports and transportation. For example, in sports like football or baseball, players use the principle to increase their momentum and therefore the force of their movements. In transportation, the principle is used in designing airbags and seatbelts to reduce the impact force on passengers during a collision.

What are the units for impulse and momentum?

The units for impulse are Newton-seconds (N*s) and the units for momentum are kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

How is the Impulse-Momentum Theorem related to Newton's Laws of Motion?

The Impulse-Momentum Theorem is closely related to Newton's Laws of Motion, particularly the Second Law which states that the net force applied to an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. The Impulse-Momentum Theorem provides a mathematical explanation for this law, showing that the impulse applied to an object is equal to the change in its momentum.