Academic advice for math major (peripheral)

In summary, the individual is a pure math major and plans to attend graduate school and pursue a career in academia. However, they have some doubts and are considering exploring other options, such as going into industry after grad school or taking a semester off to expand their math knowledge. They are seeking advice on what courses and activities to pursue in preparation for a potential career in industry, and are also interested in securing math research opportunities at other universities through REUs. They are aware that computer science skills are in high demand in industry, and are wondering if graph theory and optimization would also fall under the category of "applied math".
moby
I'm a pure math major (finishing up my sophomore year; the only math courses I've taken so far are "pure" ones), and I do want to go to grad school (in the pure math track) and academia after that.

However:
I'm also kind of nervous and doubtful about the prospect. I'm leaning heavily towards it, but I feel like I should also explore other options before committing myself to the ideal of academia.

I'm just wondering what kind of courses/activities I should do in the event that I should eventually go into industry (if I do, it will probably be after grad school, although who knows, I might even give grad school a pass, or go for the applied track in grad school?)

There is also something else on my mind - the possibility of taking fall semester off senior year to expand my math horizons (and for a change of environment) although I'm not sure what form this will/should take. Does anyone have suggestions? Internships in industry; or just math research opportunities at other universities (how would I secure them?!); etc.

Thanks a lot.

P.S. I don't know if this is the best section to get lots of (good) advice, but I certainly hope for it.
P.S. I also posted this in the career subforum

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you should be more specific with your question. Are you looking for suggestions for courses? Or are you asking if you should go towards a more applied math education?

On this note: what is applied about applied math: numerical analysis, differential equations, physics typically learned by an applied mathematician (that is, not quite enough physics mathematical physics). These subjects surely have great research potential, but do companies actually hire applied mathematicians instead of engineers and physicists for this?

I know wall street uses differential equations and statistics for its math and hires many quants.

Would graph theory and optimization be also lumped with "applied math"?

I feel this question directly relates to the initial post.

For the OP, I know statistics is the most demanded mathematical related skill in industry.

Last edited:
moby said:
I'm just wondering what kind of courses/activities I should do in the event that I should eventually go into industry
It's hard to beat computer science. I worked an internship for a couple of years, and I found that my CS and statistics experience, acquired through classes, was instrumental in both getting the job and performing its duties.

moby said:
or just math research opportunities at other universities (how would I secure them?!)
They're called REUs, research experiences for undergraduates, and are typically done over the summer. You generally apply for them late in the fall (I think the NSF website has listings of programs). The summer between your junior and senior years is a common time to complete them.

Note that these two goals might be mutually exclusive: generally speaking, both stipulate that you work for them, with REU restrictions being the stricter of the two.

Last edited:

1. What courses should I take as a math major?

As a math major, it is important to take a variety of courses that cover different branches of mathematics such as calculus, algebra, geometry, and statistics. It is also beneficial to take courses in computer science, physics, and economics to enhance your analytical and problem-solving skills.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math?

To improve your problem-solving skills in math, it is essential to practice regularly and work on challenging problems. You can also seek help from your professors or join study groups to discuss and solve problems together. Additionally, reading and understanding solution strategies can also improve your problem-solving abilities.

3. Is it necessary to pursue a graduate degree in math?

Pursuing a graduate degree in math is not necessary, but it can open up more opportunities for research and teaching positions. It can also increase your earning potential and provide a deeper understanding of advanced mathematical concepts. However, it ultimately depends on your career goals and interests.

4. What career options are available for math majors?

Math majors have a wide range of career options, including data analyst, actuary, financial analyst, math teacher, and operations research analyst. They can also work in industries such as finance, healthcare, technology, and education. The problem-solving and analytical skills acquired as a math major are highly sought after in various fields.

5. How can I stay motivated and engage in my math studies?

To stay motivated and engaged in your math studies, it is crucial to set specific goals and break them down into manageable tasks. It can also be helpful to find a study partner or join study groups to stay accountable and motivated. Additionally, engaging in real-world applications of math and seeking out challenging problems can also make your studies more interesting and meaningful.