Question with Summing a Series (Non-Geometric)

• Thread starter NastyAccident
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the given series can be simplified to \stackrel{infinity}{n=1}\sum\left(\frac{1}{n+3}- \frac{1}{n+5}\right). After writing out the first twelve terms, it can be seen that any terms where n+3=n+5 will cancel out. Taking the limit of the series as n approaches infinity, we get \frac{9}{20}.
NastyAccident

Homework Statement

[tex]\stackrel{infinity}{n=1}\sum\left(\frac{2}{n^{2}+8n+15}\right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Partial Sums
Knowledge of Series

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see the attached word document for previous work up until this part. Also, please excuse the improper LaTeX usage [I'm getting better]!

To summarize:
[tex]\stackrel{infinity}{n=1}\sum\left(\frac{2}{n^{2}+8n+15}\right)[/tex]
= [tex]\stackrel{infinity}{n=1}\sum\left(\frac{1}{n+3}-\frac{1}{n+5}\right)[/tex]

Now, when I string out the sum I start to have concept issues that neither my book, my lecture notes, nor web searches have been able to explain:
[tex]\left(\frac{1}{4}-\frac{1}{6}\right)+\left(\frac{1}{5}-\frac{1}{7}\right)+\left(\frac{1}{6}-\frac{1}{8}\right) + ... + \left(\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+2}\right) + \left(\frac{1}{n+1}-\frac{1}{n+3}\right) + \left(\frac{1}{n+2}-\frac{1}{n+4}\right) + \left(\frac{1}{n+3}-\frac{1}{n+5}\right) [/tex]

I think the variable increments are correct at the end, this is one of my questions...

However, another - important - question is which variable increments cancel?

I understand that only:
[tex]\left(\frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{5}\right) + ... [/tex]

Will remain since those particular terms are lower than the subtracting part of the sum, however, I'm unsure about where to start with canceling variable terms.

Here is my 'guess' on which variable terms will remain:
[tex] ... + \left(-\frac{1}{n+4}-\frac{1}{n+5}\right) [/tex]
This was done under the assumption that the positive part of the sum will never reach these particular terms.

From there take the limit of the Series:

[tex]lim_{n->infinity} \left(\frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{5} -\frac{1}{n+4}-\frac{1}{n+5}\right)[/tex]

[tex]lim_{n->infinity} \left(\frac{5}{20} + \frac{4}{20} - 0 - 0 \right)[/tex]

[tex]lim_{n->infinity} \left(\frac{9}{20} \right)[/tex]

NastyAccident

Attachments

• sum of 2 divided by n^2+8n+15 from 1 to infinity.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 179
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're unsure which terms cancel, write out the first twelve terms and see which ones cancel

Yes, you stopped one term too soon! What is the term immediately after [itex]\left(\frac{1}{6}- \frac{1}{8}\right)[/itex]? So you see now what cancels? When isn+ 3= m+ 5?

Ahh, thanks! So, pretty much anything that n+3=n+5 will cancel (on both the beginning and end).

Got it now! Thanks for clearing that blip up.
NastyAccident

FAQ: Question with Summing a Series (Non-Geometric)

What is a series?

A series is a sequence of numbers that are added together in a specific order. It can also refer to a sum of terms in a sequence.

What is the difference between a geometric and non-geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence where each term is multiplied by a common ratio to get the next term. In contrast, a non-geometric series does not have a constant ratio between terms and may involve addition, subtraction, or other operations.

How do you sum a non-geometric series?

The sum of a non-geometric series can be found by adding the terms in the sequence using a formula or by using a calculator. In some cases, the sum may not have a closed form solution and can only be approximated.

What is the purpose of summing a series in mathematics?

Summing a series allows us to calculate the total value of a sequence and can help us understand the behavior and patterns within the sequence. It is also useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating interest or population growth.

Can a non-geometric series have a finite sum?

Yes, a non-geometric series can have a finite sum as long as the terms in the sequence decrease in value and approach zero. This is known as a convergent series. However, if the terms do not decrease in value or approach zero, the series will have an infinite sum and is known as a divergent series.