Finding magnitude of net force

In summary, the problem involves a 2.60 kilogram mass moving in a plane with its x and y coordinates given by x = 5.40t^2 - 1.30 and y = 2.75t^3 + 1.80, where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. By finding the derivatives of these functions, the velocity at a given point in both the x and y directions can be determined. Using the position update formula and momentum principle, the magnitude of the net force acting on the mass at t = 2.10 seconds can be calculated by calculating the momentum at two different times and substituting it into the momentum principle formula. In the limit of taking the derivative,
danielatha4

Homework Statement

A 2.60 kilogram mass is moving in a plane, with its x and y coordinates given by x = 5.40t2 - 1.30 and y = 2.75t3 + 1.80, where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. Calculate the magnitude of the net force acting on this mass at t = 2.10 seconds.

Homework Equations

Our teacher has been making us use the position update formula and the momentum principle:
[tex]\Delta[/tex]r=Vavg[tex]\Delta[/tex]t
[tex]\Delta[/tex]P=Fnet[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

I can figure out the velocity at a given point in both the y and x directions by finding the derivative:
dx/dt=8.4t
dy/dt=8.25t2

But I don't know how to apply this. I really don't know where to start.

Edit: sorry, dx/dt should be 10.8t

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
danielatha4 said:

Homework Statement

A 2.60 kilogram mass is moving in a plane, with its x and y coordinates given by x = 5.40t2 - 1.30 and y = 2.75t3 + 1.80, where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. Calculate the magnitude of the net force acting on this mass at t = 2.10 seconds.

Homework Equations

Our teacher has been making us use the position update formula and the momentum principle:
[tex]\Delta[/tex]r=Vavg[tex]\Delta[/tex]t
[tex]\Delta[/tex]P=Fnet[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

I can figure out the velocity at a given point in both the y and x directions by finding the derivative:
dx/dt=8.4t
dy/dt=8.25t2

But I don't know how to apply this. I really don't know where to start.

Edit: sorry, dx/dt should be 10.8t

Well the second derivative of the position functions or the first derivative of the velocity functions should give you a(t). Then the second law F=ma. So you have then you should have the forces in the x and y direction at the time given. Add those two vectors together... pythag. theorem.

Thanks for the reply. I figured out that way of solving this problem after I posted it. However, our teacher won't let us use f=ma yet, as we haven't gotten to it in our class yet.

I no longer NEED help on this problem since I have the correct answer, but does anyone know how to do it with only the position update formula and momentum principle?

danielatha4 said:
I no longer NEED help on this problem since I have the correct answer, but does anyone know how to do it with only the position update formula and momentum principle?

Once you know the components of velocity, just use them to calculate the momentum at two different times, say [itex]t=t_0[/itex] and [itex]t=t_0+\Delta t[/itex], and substitute it into the momentum principle formula you gave. The smaller you make [itex]\Delta t[/itex], the more accurate your result will be; and in the limit that [itex]\Delta t\to 0[/itex], your result becomes exact (taking this limit is exactly the same thing as taking the derivative [itex]\frac{d\textbf{P}}{dt}[/itex], so this should be no surprise to you).

To find the magnitude of the net force, we can use the momentum principle:

ΔP = FnetΔt

where ΔP is the change in momentum and Δt is the change in time.

First, we need to find the momentum at t = 2.10 seconds. We can use the position update formula to find the position at t = 2.10 seconds, and then use the velocity equations to find the velocity at that point.

At t = 2.10 seconds:
x = (5.40)(2.10)^2 - 1.30 = 23.31 meters
y = (2.75)(2.10)^3 + 1.80 = 13.42 meters

Using the velocity equations:
vx = 10.8(2.10) = 22.68 m/s
vy = 8.25(2.10)^2 = 36.79 m/s

Now we can calculate the initial and final momenta:
Pinitial = (2.60)(0) + (2.60)(22.68) = 58.87 kg*m/s
Pfinal = (2.60)(23.31) + (2.60)(36.79) = 149.40 kg*m/s

Substituting these values into the momentum principle equation:
Fnet = (Pfinal - Pinitial)/Δt
Fnet = (149.40 - 58.87)/(2.10 - 0)
Fnet = 45.46 N

Therefore, the magnitude of the net force acting on the mass at t = 2.10 seconds is 45.46 N.

Related to Finding magnitude of net force

What is the definition of net force?

Net force is the sum of all forces acting on an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How do you find the magnitude of net force?

To find the magnitude of net force, you must first determine all the individual forces acting on the object. Then, use vector addition to find the sum of these forces. The magnitude of the net force is equal to the length of this sum vector.

What is the difference between net force and individual forces?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, while individual forces are specific forces acting on the object. Net force takes into account the direction and magnitude of all individual forces to determine the resulting motion of the object.

Can the magnitude of net force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of net force can be negative. This means that the net force is acting in the opposite direction of the motion of the object. It is important to consider the direction of net force when determining the resulting motion of an object.

What units are used to measure net force?

Net force is typically measured in Newtons (N), which is the standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI). However, other units such as pounds (lb) or dynes (dyn) may also be used. It is important to use consistent units when calculating net force.