Can n-spheres have temporal components in their metric tensor?

• Thread starter space-time
  • Start date
In summary: However, this metric is not valid for a 4-sphere since it is not a solution to the Einstein field equations.In summary, the conversation revolved around deriving the metric tensor for the 4-sphere using 5D spherical coordinates and adding a signature of (- + + +). The speaker also mentions a memory of looking up the metric tensor for 3D spherical coordinates in Minkowski space and wonders if a temporal component can be applied to n-spheres. They ask for clarification on this and also mention a different metric tensor they derived for the 3-sphere which they believe could describe spherically curved space-time. However, it is mentioned that this metric is not valid for a 4-sphere.
space-time
I just recently derived the metric tensor of the 4-sphere by embedding the coordinate system within 5D spherical coordinates, deriving the tangential vectors and then doing the dot product with all of the tangential vectors except for the er vector since r stays constant. I then added a sign signature to this 4-sphere metric tensor which I chose to be (- + + +).

Then a crucial memory hit me. A long time ago, back when I first learned how to derive metric tensors, I remember looking up the metric tensor for 3D spherical coordinates online. When I did this, a page with the metric tensor for spherical coordinates in Minkowski space came up. This particular metric tensor looked like this:

g00 = -1
g11 = 1
g22= r2
and g33= r2sin2(θ)

Every other term was 0.

Now I know that this particular space-time is flat while the 4-sphere that I recently derived is curved, but the Minkowski spherical metric tensor above is not even the same as the metric tensor for 4D spherical coordinates (the coordinate system you use when deriving the 3-sphere).

Since this Minkowski version of spherical coordinates was different from the metric tensor for 4D spherical polar coordinates, this made me wonder whether or not you can actually apply a temporal component to n-spheres.

Can someone please tell me if it is valid to apply a sign signature to an n-sphere (indicating that n-spheres can have temporal components) or if the metric tensors of n-spheres can only be purely spatial?

Physics news on Phys.org
are you sure that's the metric of the 4-sphere? this looks like Minkowski metric in spherical coords.

[itex]ds^{2} = g_{ab} dx^{a} dx^{b}= dt^{2} - dr^2 - r^2 d \theta^2 - r^2 sin^2 \theta d \phi^2 [/itex]

Also what do you mean by applying a component to n-sphere? or temporal component?
Also what do you mean by "Minkowski version of spherical coordinates ... for 4D spherical polar coordinates"?

Last edited:
space-time said:
Can someone please tell me if it is valid to apply a sign signature to an n-sphere (indicating that n-spheres can have temporal components) or if the metric tensors of n-spheres can only be purely spatial?

You can, but the resulting metric will describe a different geometry than the surface of an n-sphere in space (unless, of course, you can find a coordinate transformation under which the metric components transform into that new form - and you cannot).

Nugatory said:
You can, but the resulting metric will describe a different geometry than the surface of an n-sphere in space (unless, of course, you can find a coordinate transformation under which the metric components transform into that new form - and you cannot).

Ok. Now I have another question. If I derive the metric tensor for the 3-sphere instead and then put an extra row and column within the matrix for a -1 (as is done with the Minkowski version of 3D spherical coordinates), then will that particular metric describe the 3D surface of a 4D sphere with the 4th dimension being time (or in other words, spherically curved space time)? Here is what I am talking about:

g00= -1
g11=r2sin2(ø)sin2(ψ)
g22=r2sin2(ψ)
g33=r2

As for my coordinate labels:
x0=t (my temporal component)
x1
x2
x3

All other elements are 0. You may notice that I simply added a negative 1 element to the matrix that would have otherwise simply been the 3-sphere (just as the Minkowski version of spherical coordinates just adds a -1 to what would otherwise just be 3D spherical polar coordinates).

This is what I meant when I asked: Would the metric tensor above describe spherically curved space time?

ChrisVer said:
are you sure that's the metric of the 4-sphere? this looks like Minkowski metric in spherical coords.

[itex]ds^{2} = g_{ab} dx^{a} dx^{b}= dt^{2} - dr^2 - r^2 d \theta^2 - r^2 sin^2 \theta d \phi^2 [/itex]

Also what do you mean by applying a component to n-sphere? or temporal component?
Also what do you mean by "Minkowski version of spherical coordinates ... for 4D spherical polar coordinates"?

It is the Minkowski metric of spherical coordinates. I did not actually post my 4-sphere metric.

Yes. Such a metric would describe a spacetime where the space would form a 3Sphere.

What is an n-sphere?

An n-sphere is a mathematical concept that refers to a set of points in n-dimensional space that are equidistant from a central point. In simpler terms, it is the higher dimensional version of a circle in 2-dimensional space or a sphere in 3-dimensional space.

How many dimensions does an n-sphere have?

An n-sphere has n dimensions, where n is any positive integer. This means that a 2-sphere would have 2 dimensions, a 3-sphere would have 3 dimensions, and so on.

What is the formula for calculating the volume of an n-sphere?

The formula for calculating the volume of an n-sphere is V = (π^(n/2) * r^n)/Γ(n/2+1), where r is the radius of the sphere and Γ is the gamma function. This formula can also be written in terms of the surface area as A = 2π^(n/2) * r^n/Γ(n/2).

What is the relationship between an n-sphere and an n-dimensional hypercube?

An n-sphere and an n-dimensional hypercube are dual shapes, meaning that they can be converted into one another by a process called duality transformation. In simpler terms, an n-sphere can be inscribed in an n-dimensional hypercube, and vice versa.

How are n-spheres used in mathematics and science?

N-spheres are used in a variety of areas in mathematics and science, including geometry, topology, and physics. They play a role in understanding higher dimensional spaces, and are also used in computer graphics and simulations. In physics, n-spheres are used in the study of black holes and other celestial objects.