Torque & Force Homework Solution

In summary, the problem involves finding the tension in a support cable and the force exerted on the lower end of a boom by a hinge at point P. Using the equations for net torque and net force, the tension is calculated to be 12455N and the force exerted is 875N. The individual steps for solving these values are also provided.
BMK

Homework Statement

A wrecking ball (weight = 4800 N) is supported by a boom, which may be assumed to be uniform and has a weight of 3600 N. A support cable runs from the top of the boom to the tractor. The angle between the support cable and the horizontal is 32, and the angle between the boom and the horizontal is 48. Find (a) the tension in the support cable and (b) the magnitude of the force exerted on the lower end of the boom by hinge at point P.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]T[/tex] = Fr = 0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx = -[tex]T[/tex]cos[tex]\Theta[/tex] + Rx = 0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy = -Wball - Wboom +[tex]T[/tex]sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]+Ry = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]T[/tex] = 3600 (L/2) + 4800 L - Ft sin32 L = 0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]T[/tex] = 1800 L + 4800 L = Ftsin32L
[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]T[/tex] = 6600 = Ft sin 32
Ft = 12455N

Fx = -Ftcos32 + Rx = 0
Fx = -12455 cos 32= -Rx
Rx = 10562 N

Fy = -4800 - 3600sin48 + Ftsin 32 + Ry = 0
Fy = -4800 -3600sin48 + 12455sin 32 +Ry = 0
Ry = 875N

Physics news on Phys.org
My physics teacher gave us a set of bonus problems over break and I cannot figure this one out. I got an answer but I do not think it is right. If anyone knows how to do this, could you please help me out. Thank you very much

(a) The tension in the support cable is 12455 N.
(b) The magnitude of the force exerted on the lower end of the boom by the hinge at point P is 10562 N.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force acting on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque different from force?

While both torque and force involve the application of a force, torque specifically refers to the twisting or rotational force on an object, while force can refer to any type of push or pull.

3. What are some common units for measuring torque?

The most common units for measuring torque are newton-meters (Nm) and pound-feet (lb-ft). Other units include kilogram-meters (kg-m) and inch-pounds (in-lb).

4. How can torque be increased?

Torque can be increased by either increasing the force applied or by increasing the distance from the point of rotation where the force is applied. This is known as the lever arm.

5. How is torque used in real-world applications?

Torque is used in many applications, such as car engines, bicycles, and construction equipment. It is also used in physics and engineering to understand and analyze the motion of objects.