Fourier Series Representation Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with inserting equations into a message and the need for help in finding an integral. One person points out an error in the integration and the other expresses gratitude for the assistance.
metgt4

Homework Statement

Since I don't know how to insert equations into a message here, I've scanned both the problem and my attempt at a solution. Where I run into problems is how to find an. I'm not completely sure how to treat that integral and was hoping somebody could nudge me in the proper direction.

Thanks!
Andrew

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 364
Physics news on Phys.org
You messed up writing down the second integral when you integrated by parts, specifically, you dropped the n in the argument. Otherwise, you look like you're on the right track.

Thanks! I wrote that in a bit of a rush but so long as the idea is right I'll keep working with it.

FAQ: Fourier Series Representation Problem

1. What is a Fourier series representation?

A Fourier series representation is a mathematical technique used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions.

2. Why is the Fourier series representation important?

The Fourier series representation is important because it allows us to break down complex functions into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the function.

3. What is the formula for calculating the Fourier series representation?

The formula for calculating the Fourier series representation is given by:
f(x) = a0 + ∑[ancos(nx) + bnsin(nx)]

4. What is the convergence of a Fourier series representation?

The convergence of a Fourier series representation refers to how closely the series approximates the original function. A Fourier series may converge to the original function, converge to a different function, or not converge at all.

5. What is the practical application of Fourier series representation?

The Fourier series representation has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. It is used to analyze and understand the behavior of periodic phenomena, such as sound waves and electrical signals.

Back