Fourier Series of a Piecewise Function

In summary, the Fourier series for a function f(x) can be found using the following two techniques: 1) using the summation formula for a function of several variables, which yields the series for b); and 2) using the inverse Fourier transform, which yields the series for a.
t.kirschner99

Homework Statement

f(x) = -1, -π ≤ x ≤ 0
2, 0 ≤ x ≤ π

Given this find the Fourier series using both

$$a) \sum_{n=-∞}^\infty a_n e^{inx}$$
$$b) \sum_{n=0}^\infty [A_n cos(nx) + B_n sin(nx)]$$

Homework Equations

$$a_o = \frac {1} {2L} \int_{-L}^L f(t) \, dt $$
$$a_n = \frac {1} {L} \int_{-L}^L f(t)cos(\frac {nπt} {L}) \, dt $$
$$b_n = \frac {1} {L} \int_{-L}^L f(t)sin(\frac {nπt} {L}) \, dt $$

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello everyone. My problem is not calculating the numbers from the equations above, but with the conditions of the question. The question is asking about using 2 ways of completing the Fourier series. I've looked through my notes and online, but cannot find the two separate ways of doing it. Plus I don't know whether a or b is answered from using the three equations I linked above. Would someone be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks for the help in advance guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations only involve sines and cosines and all three of them together provide the answer for b) !

Likes t.kirschner99
BvU said:
Your equations only involve sines and cosines and all three of them together provide the answer for b) !

That is what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation!

Any idea on what kind of direction I take for A then? Combed through my notes and it only explains the process for B of course.

It's not very important: ##\ \ e^{iy} = (e^{-iy})^{-1}##

Likes t.kirschner99
Alright. Thanks for the help BvU! Really appreciate it!

Wait! There's more to be had from this very useful exercise :smile:
Fourier series, Fourier transforms are extremely useful and important tools in science and imho worth a hefty investment to master.
Here you are invited to actually do the integral, which is good, provides insight and hones skills.
With experience you'll change over more and more to useful relationships, tables and numerical tools.

A first one you meet here already: your function is asymmetrical, so all ##a_n## are zero (in part b:smile:).
A second one is the link between parts a) and b) of the exercise

Have ##\mathcal{F}##un !

t.kirschner99 said:

Homework Statement

f(x) = -1, -π ≤ x ≤ 0
2, 0 ≤ x ≤ π

Given this find the Fourier series using both

$$a) \sum_{n=-∞}^\infty a_n e^{inx}$$
$$b) \sum_{n=0}^\infty [A_n cos(nx) + B_n sin(nx)]$$

Homework Equations

$$a_o = \frac {1} {2L} \int_{-L}^L f(t) \, dt $$
$$a_n = \frac {1} {L} \int_{-L}^L f(t)cos(\frac {nπt} {L}) \, dt $$
$$b_n = \frac {1} {L} \int_{-L}^L f(t)sin(\frac {nπt} {L}) \, dt $$

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello everyone. My problem is not calculating the numbers from the equations above, but with the conditions of the question. The question is asking about using 2 ways of completing the Fourier series. I've looked through my notes and online, but cannot find the two separate ways of doing it. Plus I don't know whether a or b is answered from using the three equations I linked above. Would someone be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks for the help in advance guys!

Computer now working again, so here goes.

For (c): a complete, orthonormal system of functions on ##(-\pi,\pi)## is ##u_n (x) = \exp(i n x)/ \sqrt{2 \pi}, \: n = 0, \pm 1, \pm 2, \ldots.## So, if you write ##f = \sum_n c_n u_n##, then ##c_n = \langle u_n,f \rangle = \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} u_n(x)^* f(x) \, dx## where ##u_n^*(x) = \exp(-i n x)/\sqrt{2 \pi}= u_{(-n)}(x).## Note that in the summation, ##n## extends from ##-\infty## to ##+\infty##.

Last edited:

What is a Fourier series of a piecewise function?

A Fourier series of a piecewise function is a mathematical representation of a function using a combination of sine and cosine waves. It is used to approximate a piecewise function by breaking it down into simpler components.

How is a Fourier series of a piecewise function calculated?

A Fourier series of a piecewise function can be calculated using the Fourier series formula, which involves integrating the function over a specific range and then multiplying it by a series of coefficients. These coefficients can be calculated using trigonometric identities and Fourier transform techniques.

What is the difference between a Fourier series and a Fourier transform?

A Fourier series represents a periodic function as a combination of sine and cosine waves, while a Fourier transform represents a non-periodic function as a combination of sine and cosine waves with varying frequencies. In other words, a Fourier series is used for periodic functions, while a Fourier transform is used for non-periodic functions.

Can a Fourier series of a piecewise function be used to find the exact value of the function?

No, a Fourier series of a piecewise function is an approximation of the function and cannot give the exact value. The accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms used in the series, with more terms leading to a better approximation.

What are some applications of Fourier series of piecewise functions?

Fourier series of piecewise functions have various applications in signal processing, image processing, and data compression. They are also used in solving differential equations and in the study of periodic phenomena in physics and engineering.