Problem related to power of engine and resistance

In summary, a car with a mass of 500 kg and a maximum speed of 40 ms-1 has a constant power of 20 kW and a resistance to motion proportional to the square of its speed. Its acceleration when the speed is 20 ms-1 is 2 ms-2, and the distance traveled while increasing from 20 ms-1 to 30 ms-1 can be found by using the equation ΔKE = (f1+f2)/2*s. When the car reaches a speed of 30 ms-1, the power is switched off and the time required for its speed to decrease from 30 ms-1 to 20 ms-1 can be found by integrating dv/v^2 = -(k
songoku

Homework Statement

A car of mass 500 kg has a maximum speed of 40 ms-1 on a level road with the engine of the car working at a constant power of 20 kW. The resistance to motion is proportional to the square of the speed.

(i) find its acceleration when the speed is 20 ms-1
(ii) find the distance traveled while the speed increases from 20 ms-1 to 30 ms-1
(iii) when the car reaches the speed of 30 ms-1, the power is switched off. Find the time required to reduce the speed from 30 ms-1 to 20 ms-1

Homework Equations

P = Fv
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

(i)
F = P/v = 20000/20 = 1000 N

a = F/m = 1000/500 = 2 ms-2

For (ii) and (iii), I don't know...
the resistance = kv2, how to find the value of k? and how to continue after that? I think kinematics doesn't work because the acceleration is not constant.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
! the acceleration while a car is drivin at 20 m/s is 0. I think the problem meant the resistance or the force that the engine has to use.

! using simple x=Vo*t+1/2at^2 is easy but a = acc of the car - rezistance (which is a variable) Have fun!

! again v=a*t where a=-rezistance (variable acording to speed) Have fun again! (Btw i'd say t=Infinity, just a wild guess that might be wrong)

Hi songoku,
The net force acting on the car is given by
f = F - k*v^2...(1)
When the car reaches its maximum velocity, its acceleration is zero. Hence f = 0.
and F = k*v^2. But F = W/v. So
W/v = k*v^2 or k = W/(vmax)^3. Find k.
Now for (i), find f for given velocity by using eq(1) and hence find acceleration.
For (ii), find f1 and f2 for two given velocities. Then
ΔKE = (f1+f2)/2*s. find s.
For (iii), put W = 0. m*a = -k*v^2 or a = -k/m*v^2
So dv/dt = -(k/m)*v^2 Or
dv/v^2 = -(k/m)*dt. Find the integration to get time t.

H rl.bhat and Lok

I think I get it. I'll try it first. Thanks !

1. What is the relationship between the power of an engine and resistance?

The power of an engine is directly related to the amount of resistance it can overcome. The more power an engine has, the more it is able to overcome resistance and maintain its speed.

2. How does resistance affect the performance of an engine?

Resistance can greatly impact the performance of an engine. The more resistance an engine faces, the more energy it needs to produce to maintain its speed. This can lead to a decrease in fuel efficiency and overall performance.

3. What are some common sources of resistance for engines?

There are several sources of resistance that an engine may face, such as air resistance, friction from moving parts, and resistance from the load being pulled or pushed by the engine.

4. How can the power of an engine be increased to overcome resistance?

The power of an engine can be increased through various methods, such as increasing the size of the engine, improving its design and efficiency, or adding additional systems like turbochargers or superchargers. Regular maintenance and tuning can also help improve engine performance.

5. How can the effects of resistance on an engine be minimized?

To minimize the effects of resistance on an engine, regular maintenance and tuning are essential. This helps to keep the engine running at its optimal level and reduces the strain on the engine. Other methods include streamlining the design of the vehicle or using materials that reduce friction and drag.