What Size Cooling Fans are used in Rack Mounted Servers?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooling
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of finding information about the fan dimensions for typical rack mounted servers. The speaker's objective is to categorize the fan sizes for different types of servers, but is having trouble finding accurate data. Suggestions are made to search for technical drawings or to consult with someone knowledgeable about servers or server repair. Overall, the discussion highlights the lack of easily accessible information on server fan dimensions.
Saladsamurai
Hi guys and gals :smile: I am currently working on a project that involves server cooling.

My objective is to make some sort of (gross) generalization about what kind/size fans go into typical rack mounted servers.

When all is said and done I would like to be able to categorize my findings in a fashion something like:

Code:
1U Servers: 80mm x 80mm x 38mm, DC, constant speed

2U Servers: 120mm x 120mm ...etc

I am having a hell of a time tracking this data down. I thought I was 'clever' by going to eBay to look at replacement fans (naively) thinking that they would include the fan dimensions, however, they are simply categorized by server model number.

The Dell website 'technical specs' are garbage They might be 'technical' if my mom were reading it :smile: but insofar as 'tech specs' they do me no good.

Any ideas on where else I can search out this data? I have some ideas, but perhaps someone who knows more about servers or server repair knows of some secret stash of fan data :smile:

Any insight would be appreciated.

Casey

Computer science news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Most of the time you'll find the fans in panels of 3-4 120mm.

It seems like 120mm are common as well as 80mm.

But the main problem is that all of this is hearsay. I really need to find a way to source this data so I can cite it.

I need a technical drawing or something.

FAQ: What Size Cooling Fans are used in Rack Mounted Servers?

1. What size cooling fans are typically used in rack mounted servers?

The most common size for cooling fans in rack mounted servers is 80mm or 3.15 inches.

2. Are there any other sizes of cooling fans used in rack mounted servers?

Yes, there are also 60mm and 120mm cooling fans used in some rack mounted servers, but 80mm is the most common size.

3. How many cooling fans are usually installed in a rack mounted server?

The number of cooling fans can vary depending on the size and configuration of the server, but typically there are two to four fans installed for proper cooling.

4. What is the purpose of cooling fans in rack mounted servers?

Cooling fans are used to regulate the temperature inside the server and prevent overheating, which can cause damage to the components and decrease performance.

5. Can I replace the cooling fans in my rack mounted server with larger ones for better cooling?

It is not recommended to replace the cooling fans with larger ones as it can disrupt the airflow and cause further cooling issues. It is best to stick with the recommended size for your specific server model.

Back