Exploring the Mechanics of Military Exoskeletons

• Thread starter Kalrag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the military uses exoskeletons to make lifting, running and jumping easier. They work similarly to power steering on your car and are powered by your own movement. They are not practical yet, as they are expensive and need a power source.
Kalrag
Does anyone know how a military exoskeleton works? I hear they can make lifting, running and jumping a lot easier. How do they work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Essentially the same as the power steering on your car.

PLease be specific. Is it hydrolic, motor or what?

Hydrolic pistons and servo motors act in conjunction with your own bodies movements (muscles) to 'enhance' your abilities (strength primarily at the moment).

I haven't seen any practical, real life examples (as in used by the military) but I have seen them in action (albeit in videos) in a crude form.

As you move your arm, the 'suit' detects this and moves with you, giving you extra strength.

So far as running goes, I'm not sure. I think the challenge there would be the same as with robots walking. I don't know if they've got them to 'enhance' running speeds or jumping. From memory, I can't recall seeing one work in such a fashion.

Here is an example for you:

They aren't even close to having a Halo style suit yet if that's what you're thinking of.

Here is one which is more useable from Lockheed Martin (HULC):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kat8I5UM_Vs&feature=related

Note, given it is all Titanium, it's expensive. This makes it a not very practical solution.

This latter one seems to fit your description more, however, it does not improve running speed (and doesn't aid jumping). It simply allows the carrying of heavier loads.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I hear that they are in need of a power source. Luckily I have a design for a small self suficiant reactor that never needs charging.

But thanks anyway that helped alot.

Kalrag said:
And I hear that they are in need of a power source. Luckily I have a design for a small self suficiant reactor that never needs charging.

That would be an over unity machine (perpetual motion machine). Not possible.

Kalrag said:

Did you get it from Tony Stark?

tvavanasd said:
Did you get it from Tony Stark?

Tony Starks arc reactor burns out every so often. So I somehow doubt that's where his idea came from (although I did think that at first).

It did really come from the Iron Man movies. I am working on the technologies and stuff. Thats why I opened this thread. See, its all coming together.

And yes its possible.

No, perpetual motion, over unity devices are NOT possible. Period.

Kalrag said:
And yes its possible.
No, it's not. Thread closed.

FAQ: Exploring the Mechanics of Military Exoskeletons

1. How does an exoskeleton provide support and protection?

Exoskeletons are made of a hard outer layer that covers and protects the body of an organism. This provides support and protection by acting as a shield against physical damage and external forces.

2. How does an exoskeleton allow for movement?

The exoskeleton is made up of segments that are connected by joints, allowing for flexibility and movement. In some organisms, such as insects, the exoskeleton is also equipped with muscles that contract and relax, providing the necessary force for movement.

3. How does an exoskeleton grow with the organism?

Unlike internal skeletons, exoskeletons do not have the ability to grow and expand. Instead, organisms with exoskeletons must periodically shed their old exoskeleton and grow a new one through a process called molting.

4. How does an exoskeleton help with protection against predators?

Exoskeletons can offer protection against predators by making it difficult for them to bite or penetrate the outer layer. Some exoskeletons are also equipped with defensive mechanisms, such as stingers or spines, to deter predators.

5. How does an exoskeleton impact an organism's metabolism?

Having an exoskeleton can have both positive and negative impacts on an organism's metabolism. While it provides support and protection, it can also be heavy and restrict movement, requiring more energy for an organism to move. However, the exoskeleton also helps regulate water loss, which can be beneficial in certain environments.

Back