Confusion with very basic algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the points t in (0, 2\pi) that satisfy the equation sint=sin4t. The speaker uses the fact that sinA=sinB <==> A=B+2n\pi (n\in\mathbb{Z}) to find the solutions t=2n\pi/3 (n\in\mathbb{Z}). However, there are 7 intersection points when using the "indirect method" of finding zeros, which is confirmed by a calculator. The speaker wonders why the direct method using only properties of sine does not give the same answer. Another speaker explains that sin(x) is periodic with period 2pi and not one-to-one on a given
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm trying to find the points t in (0,2[itex]\pi[/itex]) such that sint=sin4t. So I use the fact that sinA=sinB <==> A=B+2n[itex]\pi[/itex] ([itex]n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]), which yields t=2n[itex]\pi[/itex]/3 ([itex]n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]). The only solutions of this in (0,2[itex]\pi[/itex]) are 2[itex]\pi[/itex]/3 and 4[itex]\pi[/itex]/3.

However, there are 7 intersection points, says the "indirect method" of finding the zeros in (0,2[itex]\pi[/itex]) of sint-sin4t = sint+sin(-4t) =2sin(3t/2)cos(5t/2).

The number 7 is also confirmed by my calculator. So why doesn't the direct method using only the properties of sine, give the correct answer?? :confused:

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
sinA=sinB <=> A=B+2npi or A=(2n+1)pi-B. Remember that sin(x) is periodic with period 2pi, but not one-to-one on a given period (ie, there are points within a single period with the same sin).

Hey, you're right! Thanks StatusX.

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that involves using symbols and letters to represent numbers and quantities in equations and formulas. It is used to solve problems involving unknown variables and to study the relationships between numbers and quantities.

2. Why is algebra important?

Algebra is important because it helps us solve real-world problems and make predictions using mathematical equations. It also provides a foundation for more advanced areas of mathematics and other fields, such as science, engineering, and economics.

3. What are the basic concepts of algebra?

The basic concepts of algebra include variables, constants, expressions, equations, and inequalities. Variables are symbols that represent unknown quantities, while constants are known values. Expressions are combinations of numbers, variables, and operations, and equations and inequalities are statements that show the relationship between two expressions.

4. How can I improve my understanding of basic algebra?

To improve your understanding of basic algebra, you can practice solving problems, use online resources and tutorials, and seek help from a tutor or teacher. It is also important to have a strong foundation in arithmetic and basic mathematical concepts.

5. What are some common mistakes people make when learning basic algebra?

Some common mistakes people make when learning basic algebra include not following the correct order of operations, not understanding the concept of variables, and making calculation errors. It is also important to pay attention to signs and symbols, such as negative numbers and exponents, and to check your work for accuracy.