Calculating Oscillation Periods for a Floating Cylinder

• Thread starter smithg86
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a hollow cylinder in water. The first two parts of the problem were correctly solved, determining the distance from the bottom of the cylinder to the surface of the water and the additional force on the cylinder when pushed down from its equilibrium position. The third and fourth parts of the problem involved calculating the period of vertical and rotational oscillations of the cylinder. The correct approach for part 3 was to treat the cylinder as a pendulum rotating around its center of buoyancy, resulting in a period of 1.00303 seconds. However, the solution for part 4 was incorrect and after reconsideration, the correct solution was determined to be 1.00303 seconds as well.
smithg86
[This was a 4 part question. The first 2 parts were correctly done (so I didn't show much work for them). I'm not sure about the last 2 parts. I only need help with the last 2 parts.]

Homework Statement

A closed hollow cylinder of length L = 0.5 m, cross sectional area A= 0.0004 m^2 and a negligible mass has a lead weight of mass m=0.1 kg inside at the bottom so that it floats vertically when placed in water.

[1st part]

Determine the distance, d, from the bottom of the cylinder to the surface of the water.

I calculated d = 0.25m

[2nd part]

The cylinder is now pushed down a distance x from the equilibrium position, d, determined above. What is the additional force on the cylinder trying to restore it to its equilibrium position?

I calculated F = 3.924x

[3rd part]

What is the period of the vertical oscillations of the cylinder?

[4th part]

Estimate the period of rotational oscillations, where the axis of the cylinder oscillates back and forth in a vertical plane.

Homework Equations

[For part 1]

(.1kg mass) = (mass of displaced water) = (density of water)(volume of submersed part of cylinder)

[For part 2]

(.1 kg + F) = (new displaced volume of water)(density of water)

[For part 3]

w = (k/m)^(1/2)
T = (2pi)/w

[For part 4]

(torque) = -k(theta)
w = (k/I)^(1/2)
T = 2pi/w

The Attempt at a Solution

[Part 3]

T = 2pi/w = 2pi(m/k)^(1/2) = 2pi(.1/3.924)^(1/2) = 1.00303 seconds [?]

[Part 4]

T = 2pi/w = 2pi/ 25.0567 = 0.250758 seconds [?]

Are these answers correct? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Part 3) looks OK assuming the earlier parts are correct and that the units of k that you have not included in your answer to part 2) are N/m

I have absolutely no idea what you did in part 4) Throwing in a dimensionless number of 25.0567 without any explanation where it comes from does not exactly help anyone here help you. A lot of people here can do the problem. We should not have to do your work to see if you got the right answer. Where does that number come from?

Sorry about that. Part 2's answer is in [N/m]. Heres what I did for part 4:
moment of inertia for cylinder, I = md^2 = (.1 kg)(.25 m)^2= 0.00625 [kg m^2]
angular frequency, w = (k/I)^(1/2) = (3.924/0.00625)^(1/2) = 25.0567 [1/seconds]
period, T = 2pi/w = 2pi/25.0567 = 0.250758 seconds

smithg86 said:
Sorry about that. Part 2's answer is in [N/m]. Heres what I did for part 4:
moment of inertia for cylinder, I = md^2 = (.1 kg)(.25 m)^2= 0.00625 [kg m^2]
angular frequency, w = (k/I)^(1/2) = (3.924/0.00625)^(1/2) = 25.0567 [1/seconds]
period, T = 2pi/w = 2pi/25.0567 = 0.250758 seconds

(k/I)^½ has the dimensions of [(N/m)/(kg*m²)]^½ = [(kg*m/s²)/(kg*m³)]^½ = 1/(m*s)

These are not the units of frequency. Where did you get ω = (k/I)^½ ?

Last edited:
I misread my notes...after reading your reply and my textbook, I took another stab at it:
I treated the cylinder as a pendulum, rotating around its center of buoyancy, which I took to be d=0.25 [m].
w=(g/d)^(1/2) = (9.81/0.25)^(1/2) = 6.26418 [1/s]
T = 2pi/w = 2pi/6.26 = 1.00303 [seconds]

smithg86 said:
I misread my notes...after reading your reply and my textbook, I took another stab at it:
I treated the cylinder as a pendulum, rotating around its center of buoyancy, which I took to be d=0.25 [m].
w=(g/d)^(1/2) = (9.81/0.25)^(1/2) = 6.26418 [1/s]
T = 2pi/w = 2pi/6.26 = 1.00303 [seconds]

That looks much better. It does of course neglect some very real effects related to how the buoyant force is distributed over the surface of the cylinder, and the resistance to motion through the water. However, for very small oscillations it should be about right, and I doubt that you are expected to worry about other effects.

Thanks for your help!

1. What is oscillation?

Oscillation is the repetitive movement or fluctuation around an equilibrium point. It can be observed in various systems, such as a pendulum, a spring, or even sound waves.

2. How does oscillation occur?

Oscillation is caused by the interplay between two opposing forces. One force pushes the system away from its equilibrium point, while the other force pulls it back towards the equilibrium. This back-and-forth movement creates the oscillation.

3. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. It is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object, and it depends on the volume of the object and the density of the fluid.

4. How does buoyancy affect floating objects?

For an object to float, the upward force of buoyancy must be greater than the downward force of gravity. This is why objects with a lower density than the fluid will float, while objects with a higher density will sink.

5. Can buoyancy be affected by the shape of an object?

Yes, the shape of an object can affect its buoyancy. Objects with a larger surface area will experience a greater upward force of buoyancy, while objects with a smaller surface area will experience a weaker upward force. This is why some objects, like boats, are designed with a specific shape to maximize their buoyancy.