What is the approximate gravitational red shift for light emitted by the sun?

In summary, the book provides an equation for gravitational redshift and the problem gives the mass and radius of the sun, as well as the wavelength of light being emitted. The book's answer for the approximate gravitational redshift is 1.06 pm. The constant G is also provided. The gravitational redshift is the change in frequency, and the book's answer is obtained by calculating the right side of the equation and multiplying it by the speed of light over the wavelength of light. The correct answer is obtained by subtracting the change in frequency from the original frequency and converting it to a new wavelength.
jk4
The book gives the equation:
[tex]\frac{\Delta\textit{v}}{\textit{v}} = \frac{GM}{c^{2}R}[/tex]

the problem gives me the mass of the sun, it's radius, and the wavelength of light being emitted.

So basically I can solve the right side of the equation, but I'm just not sure about how to express the amount of "red shift". Is it the entire left side? or is it just the top of the fraction on the left side? Or something else. I've tried both and don't get the books answer.

According to the book:
Sun mass = 2.0x10^(30) kg
Sun radius = 7.0x10^(8) m
wavelength of light = 500 nm (being emitted by the sun)
"Find the approximate gravitational red shift"
The book answer is 1.06 pm

[EDIT]
I'll throw this in too. the constant G = 6.673x10^(-11) N m^(2) / kg^(2)

Physics news on Phys.org
The gravitational redshift is the change in frequency, which is the numerator of the left side. But notice that they aren't asking for the change in frequency but for the change in wavelength. There's a simple relation between frequency and wavelength.

ok I tried that and for [tex]\Delta\textit{v}[/tex] I got 1.27x10^(9) m ... Which is obviously very wrong.

I simply calculate the right side and I get 2.12x10^(-6)
Then I multiply that by (c / 500x10^(-9)) and that gives me my ridiculous answer of 1.27x10^(9) m
and if I convert that to wavelength I get nowhere near 1.06 pm I get 0.231 m

The original frequency is c/500nm. The change in frequency is (c/500nm)*2.12*10^(-6). The new frequency is the difference. (1-2.12*10^(-6))*(c/500nm). The new wavelength is 500nm/(1-2.12*10^(-6)). How much does that differ from 500nm?

When I do it your way I get the correct answer.

But, I don't know why you say the new frequency is the difference (1-2.12*10^(-6))*(c/500nm) shouldn't it be (1+2.12*10^(-6))*(c/500nm) ?
because change in v is vf-(c/500nm) = 2.12*10^(-6) * (c/500nm)
so
vf = (1+2.12*10^(-6))*(c/500nm)
But when I do it my way I get the negative of the correct answer.

It's a RED shift. The frequency should decrease and the wavelength should increase. I put in the sign by hand. The formula doesn't really specify if the wave is coming up from the sun or down towards the sun. It just gives you the delta.

1. What is gravitational red shift?

Gravitational red shift is a phenomenon where light shifts towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum when it is emitted from an object that is in a strong gravitational field. This is due to the fact that the gravitational pull of the object causes the light waves to lose energy as they travel towards an observer, resulting in a longer wavelength and a red shift in color.

2. How does gravitational red shift occur?

Gravitational red shift occurs due to the principle of general relativity, which states that gravity can affect the flow of time and the behavior of light. When light travels towards a massive object, such as a planet or a star, its energy is affected by the strong gravitational field and it loses energy, causing a shift towards the red end of the spectrum.

3. What are the implications of gravitational red shift?

Gravitational red shift is a crucial aspect of understanding the behavior of light and gravity in the universe. It has been used to support the theory of general relativity and has also been observed in various astrophysical phenomena, such as the red shift of light from distant galaxies. It also has implications for the accurate measurement of distances in space and the study of the expansion of the universe.

4. Can gravitational red shift be observed on Earth?

Yes, gravitational red shift can be observed on Earth, although the effect is very small. The Earth's gravitational field is not strong enough to cause a noticeable red shift in everyday objects. However, it can be observed in highly precise experiments, such as with atomic clocks, where the effect of gravity on time can be measured.

5. How is gravitational red shift different from Doppler red shift?

Gravitational red shift and Doppler red shift are two different phenomena that can cause a shift towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum. Gravitational red shift is caused by the influence of gravity on light, while Doppler red shift is caused by the relative motion between the source of light and the observer. Gravitational red shift is a result of the space-time curvature, while Doppler red shift is a result of the Doppler effect.