Favorite Equation Of All Time?

• Thread starter imagenius128
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation covers various mathematical equations and values, with participants sharing their personal favorites such as e^{i\pi}=-1, Stokes' Theorem, perpendicular distance formula, E=mc^2, Hankel's contour, continued fractions, Schrödinger equation, golden ratio, and the trace/determinant log formula. Some participants also mention the importance of originality and appreciation for mathematical concepts. The conversation ends with a humorous equation and a mention of the usefulness of lie algebras and groups in physics.
imagenius128
What is your favorite mathematical equation/value of all time? Mine is e[tex]^{i\pi}[/tex], which equals -1.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I second that.

I've always had a soft spot for Stokes' Theorem; differential forms version:
\int_{\partial \cal C} \omega = \int_{cal C} d\omega

j = gmpy.divm(xyz[1]**(gen)-dp,yx,xyz[1]**(gen))//xyz[1]**(gen-ONE)

x2-2x+3

[tex]d=\left|\frac{ax_1+by_1+c}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}\right|[/tex]

- perpendicular distance between a point (x1,y1) and a line ax+by+c=0

I reckon the proof is so neat! Except no one else in my class appreciated it whatsoever when they learned it...

I would like to change my original thought.

May favourite is by far this:

[tex]\int_{all time}dt[/tex]

Ok I'll post one just for fun. :)[tex] f(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \, \left\{ \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(\lambda) \, e^{-i 2 \pi \omega \lambda} \, d\lambda \right\} \, e^{i 2 \pi \omega x} \, d\omega [/tex]

call me a traditionalist, but its got to be E=mc^2
its engraved on my ipod :)

how about functions expressed using Hankel's wacky contour:

[tex]\Gamma(z) = \frac{1}{e^{2\pi iz}-1}\int^{+\infty}_{+\infty}e^{-t}t^{z-1}dt[/tex]

[tex]\zeta(s) = \frac{\Gamma(1-s)}{2\pi i}\int^{+\infty}_{+\infty}\frac{(-x)^s}{e^{x}-1}\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]

Last edited:
1=2.

Mine is

All Time = 3pi/2 + 5

y = xx. It has a minimimum at x = 1/e.

Why does everyone love e^i*pi = -1 so much? Because Feynman liked it? Have some originality, people :)

^IttyBittyBit: I didn't know that Feynman liked it - where did you read that from? Now I've more reason to like it. Coincidentally, it's the 15th of February today. He passed away exactly 22 years ago. :(

I like it for the traditional reason though, that there's e, i, pi, 0 and 1, ^, *, +, = in a single equation!

IttyBittyBit said:
Why does everyone love e^i*pi = -1 so much? Because Feynman liked it? Have some originality, people :)

How about

[tex]
0 \neq 1
[/tex]

Without this, maybe mathematics would not exist? :smile:

One of my lecturers in quantum field theory said that the most important (consider path integrals) equation in physics is

[tex]
\log(\det(A)) =\mathrm{tr}\log(A)
[/tex]

One of my personal favourites are

EDIT: A picture was supposed to appear here... Anyway, it was the formula that expresses e as a continued fraction. I won't bother to write it myself.

Torquil

Last edited:
e[tex]^{i\pi}+1=0[/tex]

This has been described as the mathematical poem, linking the sometime called big five of mathematics, e, pi, i, 0 and 1. When you consider that it involves an irrational number raised to an imaginary irrational power being equal to unity, it is, at first sight, to a non mathematician like myself, truly magical. Of course when you know a little more mathematics it is quite simple, no magic involved.

Matheinste.

Last edited:
uart said:
Ok I'll post one just for fun. :)

[tex] f(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \, \left\{ \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(\lambda) \, e^{-i 2 \pi \omega \lambda} \, d\lambda \right\} \, e^{i 2 \pi \omega x} \, d\omega [/tex]

I'll second this one.

My favourite would be the time-independent Schrödinger equation

[tex]\hat{H} \psi = E\psi[/tex]​

in this deceptively simple form :p

matheinste said:
e[tex]^{i\pi}-1=0[/tex]

This has been described as the mathematical poem, linking the sometime called big five of mathematics, e, pi, i, 0 and 1. When you consider that it involves an irrational number raised to an imaginary irrational power being equal to unity, it is, at first sight, to a non mathematician like myself, truly magical. Of course when you know a little more mathematics it is quite simple, no magic involved.

Uhm i think you got that one wrong. e^(i*pi) = -1 , not +1

Svalbard said:
Uhm i think you got that one wrong. e^(i*pi) = -1 , not +1

Thanks for the correction.

Matheinste

ephedyn said:
^IttyBittyBit: I didn't know that Feynman liked it - where did you read that from? Now I've more reason to like it. Coincidentally, it's the 15th of February today. He passed away exactly 22 years ago. :(

I believe it was in the 'algebra' chapter of The Feynman Lectures on Physics. That book is worth reading even for people who are not interested in physics (as is every other book by Feynman).

[tex]\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx=F(b)-F(a)[/tex]

I find these definitions of the golden ratio very elegant:

[tex]\phi = \sqrt{1 + \sqrt{1 + \sqrt{1 + \cdots}}}[/tex]
[tex]\phi = 1 + \frac{1}{1 + \frac{1}{1 + \frac{1}{\ddots}}}[/tex]

The proofs of these are interesting as well.

matheinste said:
e[tex]^{i\pi}+1=0[/tex]

Matheinste.

Not only does it relate the major constants it does so by using all of the basic operations, exponentiation, multiplication, addition and equality.

Yeah, I like this one, too.
[tex]e^{i\pi}+1=0[/tex]
You raise an irrational number to a power that is an imaginary multiple of another irrational number, add 1 and get 0.

[tex]G_{\mu \nu}= 8 \pi T_{\mu \nu}[/tex]

Golden.

torquil said:
How about

[tex]
0 \neq 1
[/tex]

Without this, maybe mathematics would not exist? :smile:

That's the opposite of an equation :p

The trace/determinant log formula is pretty cool when applied to lie algebras and lie groups (which allegedly is used in physics)

I personally like

[tex]A / ker \phi \cong I am \phi[/tex]

1=2 :tongue:

1. What is your favorite equation of all time?

As a scientist, I have many favorite equations depending on the field of study. However, one equation that stands out to me is the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles.

2. Why is the Schrödinger equation your favorite?

The Schrödinger equation is my favorite because it revolutionized the field of quantum mechanics and helped us understand the behavior of subatomic particles. It also has many practical applications in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.

3. Can you explain the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantum system evolves over time. It takes into account the wave-like nature of particles and allows us to predict the probability of finding a particle in a particular location.

4. How is the Schrödinger equation used in real-world applications?

The Schrödinger equation has a wide range of applications, including predicting the behavior of electrons in a semiconductor, understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemical reactions, and designing quantum computers.

5. Are there any limitations to the Schrödinger equation?

While the Schrödinger equation has been incredibly useful in understanding the behavior of quantum particles, it does have some limitations. For example, it cannot fully describe systems with multiple particles or particles with high energies. Scientists are continually working to improve upon the equation to overcome these limitations.