Dependency between orbits

• Thread starter matt42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbits
In summary, the person is looking for a way to determine the dependence between orbits in a colored graph, given the generators group for the automorphisms. They have tried searching in computational group theory literature but have not found the relevant terminology. They suggest looking into the decomposition series of the automorphism group to determine its structure.
matt42
Hi,
I'm struggling with the following:
I have a colored graph, and I used Bliss to find the generators group for the automorphisms. Finding the orbits given the generators is easy.
What I'm trying to find now is dependence between orbits - for each orbit I want to know if it still exist if I"ll stabilize the rest of the graph, and if not, which of the other orbits need to be "free" to move with it. For example, if the generators are (1 2 3), (3 4)(6 7) and (5 8 9) then I have the orbits: (1 2 3 4), (6 7) and (5 8 9), however, (1 2 3 4) and (6 7) have to move together (so they are dependent) and (5 8 9) can move by itself (independently of the others).

I tried searching in the computational group theory literature without success, but I may be missing some terminology here, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds as if you were in need of possible decomposition series of the automorphism group, i.e. its structure. E.g. if it was simple, then it wouldn't have any normal subgroups, which I assume correspond to subsets of fixed elements, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I would go in this direction.

1. What is a dependency between orbits?

A dependency between orbits refers to the gravitational pull that one celestial body exerts on another, causing them to orbit around each other. This is known as the orbital relationship.

2. How does the dependency between orbits affect planetary motion?

The dependency between orbits determines the shape, size, and orientation of a planet's orbit around the sun. It also affects the speed at which a planet travels along its orbit.

3. Is the dependency between orbits constant?

No, the dependency between orbits can change over time due to external factors such as the influence of other celestial bodies or changes in the mass or distance of the orbiting objects.

4. What is the difference between a stable and an unstable orbit dependency?

A stable orbit dependency occurs when the gravitational pull between two objects is balanced, resulting in a predictable and consistent orbit. An unstable orbit dependency occurs when the gravitational pull is not balanced, causing the orbit to change over time or even result in a collision between the objects.

5. How is the dependency between orbits calculated?

The dependency between orbits is calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.