Clarification of a specific orbit example

In summary, Professor gives an example of a cyclical permutation and asks if G, the symmetric group, acts on M through application. G has exactly one orbit, namely G*0, and operates on Pot_2(M) through three orbits.
mk9898
Hello,

In my professor's lecture notes she gives this example and I have a couple of questions regarding it:Let [itex] M = \mathbb Z/6\mathbb Z [/itex] and [itex]f: M \rightarrow M, x \rightarrow x+1[/itex] the cyclical permutation of the elements from M. Then is [itex]G := \{id_M, f, f^2,f^3,f^4,f^5\} [/itex] a subset from [itex]S_M[/itex]. Just like the symmetric group, G operates on M through applicaton. M has exactly one orbit namely M = G*0. We can have G operate also on the 2-element subset from M. [itex]|Pot_2(M)| = 15[/itex] and G has on [itex]Pot_2(M)[/itex] exactly 3 orbits:[itex]G \cdot \{0,1\} = \{\{i,i+1\} | i \in M \}[/itex], of the length 6,

[itex]G \cdot \{0,2\} = \{\{i,i+2\} | i \in M \}[/itex], of the length 6

[itex]G \cdot \{0,3\} = \{\{0,3\},\{1,4\},\{2,5\} | i \in M \}[/itex], of the length 3.Questions:

1. How can one quickly calculate the cardinality of the power set Pot_2 without writing out all of the possibilities? The cardinality of the power set is 2^n but in this case it is 15 which confuses me.

2. The definition of an orbit is: [itex]Gm:= \{gm| g \in G\} \subseteq M[/itex] and there are 6 elements from M. Why is G*0 the only orbit? Any help/insight is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like she is defining ##Pot_2(M)## to be the set of two-distinct-element subsets of ##M##, and has defined an action of ##G## on that set such that for ##g\in G## and ##(m,n)\in Pot_2(M)## we have ##g((m_1,m_2))=(gm_1,gm_2)##. This has nothing to do with power sets, hence the power set cardinality formula ##2^{|M|}## is not relevant. Instead use permutations or combinations to find the cardinality of ##Pot_2(M)##. Which should it be (perms or combs?) given that the subsets are not ordered pairs?

##G*0## is the only orbit because the orbits form a partition of the set. In particular they are mutually exclusive. Since ##G*0## covers all six elements of ##M##, that mutual exclusivity implies that no other orbit can have any elements. So ##G*0## is the only orbit.

Hallo andrewkirk,

Thanks for the response. The G*0 makes a lot of sense now. That is simply the all of the g's in G acting on M and all of them are on the same orbit and orbits are disjunct. Regarding the cardinality of the set [itex]|Pot_2(M)| [/itex]. The 15 is the total pairs of the tuples given the mapping of M (I believe). That means that if we were to write out all possibilities of pairs disregarding the order and remove all of the {i,i} i = (1,2,3,4,5) then we would have 15. I.e.: {0,1},{0,2},{0,3},{0,4},{0,5},{1,2},{1,3},{1,4},{1,5},{2,3},{2,4},{2,5},{3,4},{3,5},{4,5}. I THINK that it was she meant. She expected us to know the answer within 2 seconds so I am wondering if there is a formula to know this answer?

I got it. It's just the binomial coefficient of 6 choose 2. Writing it out helped me realize it. Thanks!

1. What is an orbit?

An orbit is the path that an object takes as it revolves around a larger object, such as a planet orbiting around a star or a moon orbiting around a planet.

2. How is the shape of an orbit determined?

The shape of an orbit is determined by the balance between the object's forward motion and the gravitational pull of the larger object it is orbiting around. This results in an elliptical, circular, or parabolic shape.

3. What is an example of a specific orbit?

An example of a specific orbit is the orbit of Earth around the Sun. This is an elliptical orbit with the Sun at one of the foci of the ellipse.

4. What factors can affect the stability of an orbit?

The stability of an orbit can be affected by factors such as the mass and distance of the objects involved, as well as external forces such as other objects in the vicinity or the effects of relativity.

5. How does the speed of an object in orbit change?

The speed of an object in orbit remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that as the distance between the two objects changes, the speed of the orbiting object will also change to maintain a stable orbit.