Calculating the power required to compress air to X pressure at Y CFM?

In summary, the user is seeking a formula for calculating the power needed to compress air to a given pressure and CFM. They also need help determining the best way to move the air, possibly through an impeller. A helpful forum post with a formula is provided for their reference.
J-Ri
How can I calculate the power needed to compress air to a given pressure and CFM?

I need to select an electric motor that is capable of compressing air to 2 PSI at 520 CFM. I would appreciate the formula(s), not just an answer to this pressure/volume, as I will probably be playing around with slight variations.

I could also use some help determining the best way of moving the air, I would think an impeller is the way to go, but this is not in my area of expertise.

Thanks,
Jason

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. How is power required to compress air calculated?

The power required to compress air is calculated by multiplying the air flow rate (in cubic feet per minute or CFM) by the pressure (in pounds per square inch or PSI) and dividing by a constant factor of 550. The resulting value is the power required in horsepower (HP).

2. What is the formula for calculating power required to compress air?

The formula for calculating power required to compress air is: Power (HP) = (CFM * PSI) / 550.

3. How do you determine the air flow rate and pressure needed for a specific application?

The air flow rate and pressure needed for a specific application can be determined by considering factors such as the volume of air required, the type of equipment or tool being powered by the compressed air, and any pressure or flow rate specifications for the equipment. It is important to also consider any potential variations or changes in air flow and pressure during operation.

4. Can the power required to compress air be reduced?

Yes, the power required to compress air can be reduced by using more efficient compressors, optimizing the air flow and pressure settings, and minimizing leaks or inefficiencies in the compressed air system. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the system can also help to reduce power consumption.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the power required to compress air?

Yes, in addition to the air flow rate and pressure, the type and size of the compressor, ambient temperature and humidity, and altitude can also affect the power required to compress air. It is important to consider all of these factors when determining the power requirements for a specific application.