Calculating Average Kinetic Energy and RMS Speed of Gas Molecules

In summary, the conversation discusses the average kinetic energy and rms speed of helium and argon molecules in a mixture at equilibrium with a temperature of 150 degrees celsius. The formula 1/2mv^2 = 3/2kT is mentioned, with the possible mistake of not converting to Kelvin. The Boltzmann constant is also mentioned with a value of 1.38 X 10^-23.
cogs24
hi all

if you have a cylinder with helium and argon in it, and the mixture is at equilibrium, with a temperature of 150 degrees celsius. what is the average kinetic energy of each gas molecule?, and what is the rms speed of each type of molecule?

im aware of the theory behind this, but it seems that i just cannot obtain the answer.
im using the formula
1/2mv^2 (kinetic energy) = 3/2kT
i think I am going wrong with calculating k, isn't that a constant, 1.38 X 10 ^ -23.

thanx for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that k is the Boltzmann constant, with that value. Perhaps you are forgetting to convert to kelvin?

hmm, yes, i did forget to convert to kelvin, i thought i did, oh well, thanks for the notice!

What is average kinetic energy and how is it calculated?

Average kinetic energy is the average amount of energy that each molecule in a gas has due to its motion. It is calculated by taking the sum of the squared velocities of all molecules in the gas and dividing it by the total number of molecules.

What is the significance of calculating average kinetic energy?

Calculating average kinetic energy allows us to understand the behavior of gas molecules and how they contribute to the overall properties of a gas, such as pressure and temperature. It also helps us compare and analyze different gases.

How does average kinetic energy relate to the root-mean-square (RMS) speed of gas molecules?

The RMS speed of gas molecules is the speed at which the average kinetic energy of the gas molecules is equal to the kinetic energy of a single molecule. In other words, it is the speed at which the average kinetic energy is distributed among all molecules. The RMS speed is calculated using the same formula as average kinetic energy, but the result is then square rooted.

What factors affect the average kinetic energy and RMS speed of gas molecules?

The average kinetic energy and RMS speed of gas molecules are affected by temperature, molar mass, and the type of gas. As temperature increases, so does the average kinetic energy and RMS speed. Heavier molecules have lower average kinetic energy and RMS speed compared to lighter molecules. Different types of gases have different average kinetic energy and RMS speed due to the different masses of their molecules.

Why is it important to consider the average kinetic energy and RMS speed of gas molecules in certain applications?

In applications such as gas storage, transportation, and chemical reactions, understanding the average kinetic energy and RMS speed of gas molecules is crucial. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of gases, as well as ensure the safety and efficiency of these processes.