Equivalence Relation: Examining the Proof

In summary, the conversation is about a student finding an exercise sheet asking them to examine a proof involving a binary, symmetric, transitive relation. The exercise asks for a counter example to the argument, and the student suggests one but is unsure if it is valid. Another person confirms that it is a valid counter example and provides a more complex one as well.
Pere Callahan
Hi,

When I was just walking through the hallway of my department I found an exercise sheet asking the student to examine the following proof.

Assume [itex]R\subset M\times M[/itex] is a binary, symmetric, transitive relation. Then for any [itex]a,b \in M[/itex] with [itex]a\sim _R b[/itex] it follows by symmetry that [itex]b\sim _R a[/itex] and thus by transitivity that [itex]a\sim _R a[/itex] i.e. R is also reflexive and therefore an equivalence relation.

The exercise then asks to find the flaw in this argument (and give a counter example). To me the argument makes perfect sense...I am really ashamed, after all this is for first year students:smile:
Can someone give a hint?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Pere Callahan! :smile:

But why should a ~ anything?

Oh, okay. Thanks tiny-tim!

Do you think that [itex]R=\{\}\subset\{0\}^2[/itex] would be a valid counter example?

Pere Callahan said:
Oh, okay. Thanks tiny-tim!

Do you think that [itex]R=\{\}\subset\{0\}^2[/itex] would be a valid counter example?

Yes, the relation defined by the empty set is trivially symmetric and transitive but not reflexive. Here's a less trivial example: let A= {a, b, c} and "~" be the relation {(b,b), (b,c), (c,b), (c,c)}. That is both symmetric and transitive but not reflexive.

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that describes a relationship between two objects or elements in a set. It is a binary relation that satisfies three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity.

2. How is an equivalence relation different from other types of relations?

An equivalence relation is different from other types of relations because it is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. This means that it relates an element to itself, it is bidirectional, and it can be extended to any number of elements in the set.

3. What is the importance of examining the proof of an equivalence relation?

Examining the proof of an equivalence relation is important because it allows us to understand the properties and characteristics of the relation. It also helps us to verify that the relation satisfies the three properties of an equivalence relation.

4. How can an equivalence relation be useful in scientific research?

An equivalence relation can be useful in scientific research because it allows us to categorize objects or elements based on their shared characteristics. This can help us to identify patterns and make connections between seemingly unrelated objects or elements.

5. Can an equivalence relation be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, an equivalence relation can be applied in real-world situations. For example, a doctor may use an equivalence relation to classify different types of viruses based on their mode of transmission, symptoms, and treatment. This can aid in the development of effective treatments and prevention strategies.