Speed of sound as the sqrt(elasticity/density) and why it must always be < C

In summary, the question is about the speed of sound in a medium and how it is always less than the speed of light. The equation for speed of sound is sqrt(c/p) and there is a different equation in the relativistic limit. The density of particles in the wavefront becomes infinite as they approach the speed of light. It is necessary to use full relativistic equations to understand this phenomenon. The speed of particles in the wavefront can be made very small, but this does not affect the speed of the wave. The trick may be to compensate for the delayed reaction of the "springs" in the Hooke's law derivation of the wave. Alternatively, there could be a density elasticity dependency that affects the speed of sound.
pyrotix
The question in the title. Speed of sound in a medium obviously must be less than the speed of light. Speed of sound is usually given by the equation sqrt(c/p). Wondering what causes this to always be less than the speed of light.

Gar. Just realized something as I'm typing this. Now that I think about it, in the relativistic limit the equation would be different. As the particles in the wavefront started moving at a speed close to the speed of light they would gain mass. As they approached the speed of light the density would approach infinity.

I think I'll try and derive out what the actual equation is.

Leaving this up here in case people have interesting comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
An interesting question this one. The particles traveling at relativistic speeds won't save you! Linear waves can have an amplitude as small as you like and still propagate at the same speed, so the speed of individual particles can be made tiny. As you say, you have to use full relativistic equations, and these will be important if you've got some really amazing equation of state with massive pressures or something. I'm not quite sure exactly what it is physically that'll save us. I guess the best way to work it out is to do perfect fluids first and see what happens. I might do a calculation later; I'll post what I find.

after thinking about it you're right. I got confused. The speed of particles depends on du/dt and can -> 0 without any effect on the c^2 term.

Maybe the trick is when doing the hooke's law derivation of the wave is to compensate for the fact that the "springs" do not react instantly but only at the speed of light.

Atlernately there might be some density elasticity dependency that saves you.

I'll think about it some more.

FAQ: Speed of sound as the sqrt(elasticity/density) and why it must always be < C

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of sound?

The speed of sound can be calculated using the formula v = √(E/ρ), where v is the speed of sound, E is the elasticity of the medium, and ρ is the density of the medium.

2. Why is the speed of sound always less than the speed of light?

The speed of sound is always less than the speed of light because sound waves travel through a medium, whereas light waves can travel through a vacuum. In a medium, the particles are constantly colliding with each other, causing a delay in the propagation of sound waves.

3. How does the elasticity of a medium affect the speed of sound?

The higher the elasticity of a medium, the faster sound waves can travel through it. This is because a more elastic medium can quickly transfer energy from one particle to another, allowing sound waves to propagate faster.

4. Why is the density of a medium included in the formula for the speed of sound?

The density of a medium is included in the formula because it affects how closely packed the particles are. A higher density means that particles are closer together, allowing sound waves to quickly transfer energy and travel faster.

5. What are some factors that can affect the speed of sound in a medium?

The speed of sound in a medium can be affected by various factors such as temperature, humidity, and pressure. These factors can alter the elasticity and density of the medium, thus changing the speed of sound.

Back