Speed of Light & Sound: Revolutionary Phenomenon?

In summary: However, if you have a million air molecules in a room, then the medium is sufficiently dense for sound waves to propagate. In summary, I'm not sure what you are trying to ask.
geordief
General Information: split from another thread
Dale said:
Again, you are completely missing the revolutionary part. The revolutionary part is not that c was independent of the speed of the emitter (even sound waves do that) but that it was the same in all inertial frames.

It makes no sense whatsoever to claim that something is not revolutionary by ignoring the revolutionary part! Do you also measure the brightness of the sun by putting your sensor in the shade?
If sound (or any wave) was transmitted in a medium whose density was vanishingly low , would that wave propagate in the same way as em radiation in a vacuum?

And vice versa does em radiation propagate in the same way as ,say sound so long as it is in a dense enough medium?

In other words is it the vacuum that is instrumental in the phenomenon that is the invaiance of the speed of light,?

Physics news on Phys.org
geordief said:
If sound (or any wave) was transmitted in a medium whose density was vanishingly low , would that wave propagate in the same way as em radiation in a vacuum?
I guess you are thinking of the formula for the speed of sound: ##\sqrt{B/\rho}##. But as ##\rho \rightarrow 0## we also have ##B \rightarrow 0## so I don’t know what the limit is.

Dale said:
I guess you are thinking of the formula for the speed of sound: ##\sqrt{B/\rho}##. But as ##\rho \rightarrow 0## we also have ##B \rightarrow 0## so I don’t know what the limit is.
I assume that your speed of sound formula takes no account of relativity.

I also assume that there is no practical need for any such formula as relativistic effects never arise in any normal situation .

Am I also right to assume that ,between sound waves and em waves there are no examples of waves that propagate faster than the former and slower than the latter?

geordief said:
I assume that your speed of sound formula takes no account of relativity.
Sorry, I assumed that was the formula you were referring to above. Please clarify what formula you intended by:
geordief said:
If not the above formula, then what would lead you to suggest this?

Dale said:
Sorry, I assumed that was the formula you were referring to above. Please clarify what formula you intended by: If not the above formula, then what would lead you to suggest this?
I didn't have a formula in mind as I lack that education.

I was just responding to your observation that the formula you provided seems to be undefined when the conditions approach that of a vacuum.

Unsurprising I suppose as sound is said to not propagate in a vacuum.

Is em radiation the only kind wave that can transmit in a vacuum?

I wonder what are the actual upper and lower limits of the speed of sound in a medium?

Perhaps ,if I am off topic I should start a separate thread?

geordief said:
Perhaps ,if I am off topic I should start a separate thread?
Good idea. I have moved it.

Likes Nugatory
geordief said:
Is em radiation the only kind wave that can transmit in a vacuum?
Gravitational waves also propagate through a vacuum.
I wonder what are the actual upper and lower limits of the speed of sound in a medium?
The speed of sound in a homogeneous medium is determined by the ratio between its stiffness and its density: it increases with stiffness and decreases with density. It's easy to find materials in which the speed of sound is near as never mind zero. In principle there could be materials in which the speed of sound is very close to ##c##, but in practice even the lightest stiffest materials known don't come close.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes russ_watters, PeroK and hmmm27
geordief said:
I was just responding to your observation that the formula you provided seems to be undefined when the conditions approach that of a vacuum.
Now I am getting really confused. You cannot have been responding to my formula in your first post because the formula came after your first post.

So again, please clarify. In your first post here, what led you to suggest this?
geordief said:

geordief said:

I feel like you are looking at this the wrong way. Sound is an oscillation of a physical medium: air, for example. The concept of sound can only make sense if the medium is sufficiently dense. If you only have three air molecules in a room, you effectively have a vacuum and there are simply not enough air molecules to support the concept of sound.

Sound requires a huge number of particles before you can identify the macroscopic concept of a sound wave.

It's difficult to see why there would be a connection between the behaviour of a few scattered air molecules and electromagnetic radiation. That question suggests you are not thinking clearly about these things.

Likes russ_watters, vanhees71 and Ibix
Dale said:
Now I am getting really confused. You cannot have been responding to my formula in your first post because the formula came after your first post.

So again, please clarify. In your first post here, what led you to suggest this?
Well ,it was in my mind that it might be the nature of the vacuum that was responsible for the fact that the speed of light was invariant.

I knew that sound waves also propagated in such a way that their speed was independent of the motion of the frame of reference whence they were emitted and I was trying to puzzle out whether ,by rarifying the density of the medium they propagated in the property of the sound wave would be identical to that of light.

I think I have learned that in principle the speed of sound can approach c but cannot be invariant as it depends on a medium for its very existence (Is actually a phenomenon of the medium)

Hope I have explained "what led me to suggest this"

Btw are gravitational waves invariant in the same way as light?

Likes Dale
geordief said:
Btw are gravitational waves invariant in the same way as light?
Yes

Maybe I missed it, but I do not see Einstein's 1905 statement about the speed of light posted, so I will do that here: "...and also introduce another postulate, which is only apparently irreconcilable with the former, namely, that light is always propagated in empty space with a definite velocity c which is independent of the state of motion of the emitting body."
I don't know why he mentioned the speed of motion of the emitting body, but it does make it look a lot like the speed of sound

Meir Achuz said:
I don't know why he mentioned the speed of motion of the emitting body, but it does make it look a lot like the speed of sound
I think he's distinguishing his theory from both ether theory, where the speed of light is ##c## relative to the ether, and ballistic theory, where the speed of light is ##c## relative to the emitter.

Nugatory said:
In principle there could be materials in which the speed of sound is very close to c, but in practice even the lightest stiffest materials known don't come close.
In that hypothetical scenario would the property of the sound wave propagation "approach invariance"in any measurable way?

geordief said:
In that hypothetical scenario would the property of the sound wave propagation "approach invariance"in any measurable way?
It would seem so. If I had a material moving at .8c to the left in my frame, sound moving to the right in it (or to the left for that matter) would move at nearly c in my frame, assuming speed of sound in the material was very close to c.

If speed of sound in a stationary material is .99990c and the material moved at .8c in my frame, then the sound would move at .99910c against the motion and at .99999c in the other.

Last edited:
Halc said:
It would seem so. If I had a material moving at .8c to the left in my frame, sound moving to the right in it (or to the left for that matter) would move at nearly c in my frame, assuming speed of sound in the material was very close to c.
But ,since as density increased movement of the molecules or particles would be more and more difficult the amplitude of the propagation of any sound wave would approach zero.

Does that also sound right?

EDIT: Think I should have said "as stiffness increases and density decreases" so my point seems shaky now...

Last edited:
geordief said:
Well ,it was in my mind that it might be the nature of the vacuum that was responsible for the fact that the speed of light was invariant.
Thanks, that helps. I think that is correct in principle. The only thing is that sound waves don't go through vacuum, but any wave that does go through vacuum would need to travel at c.

Dale said:
Thanks, that helps. I think that is correct in principle. The only thing is that sound waves don't go through vacuum, but any wave that does go through vacuum would need to travel at c.
For those waves that do travel through a vacuum,would it be correct (or as an interpretation) that they travel through a field?

If so ,can this field be construed as a physical object or is it to be understood as the set of all possible measurements of a test particle in the region in question?

Halc said:
If speed of sound in a stationary material is .99990c and the material moved at .8c in my frame, then the sound would move at .99910c against the motion and at .99999c in the other.
Yes ,that was what I was wondering. Are there any implications to that ? It seems invariant in all but name ,even though it seems an impossible scenario.

geordief said:
It seems invariant in all but name ,even though it seems an impossible scenario.
But it's not invariant at all. That's just how velocity addition works with super fast speeds.

With real materials it is different. Sound moves through air at 340 m/sec and in any frame other than that of the air, you add the frame speed to that (just like my superfast example above). So if you're moving at 500 m/sec, that's supersonic and it is impossible to hear anything behind you. That is a very frame dependent property, not just in name at all.

Likes geordief and PeroK
geordief said:
Yes ,that was what I was wondering. Are there any implications to that ? It seems invariant in all but name ,even though it seems an impossible scenario.
In a frame moving at an appropriate velocity, the speed of the sound wave would be zero.

Likes geordief
Halc said:
But it's not invariant at all. That's just how velocity addition works with super fast speeds.

With real materials it is different. Sound moves through air at 340 m/sec and in any frame other than that of the air, you add the frame speed to that (just like my superfast example above). So if you're moving at 500 m/sec, that's supersonic and it is impossible to hear anything behind you. That is a very frame dependent property, not just in name at all.
Thanks to all for your patience. I think I have it now:smile:

Ibix said:
I think he's distinguishing his theory from both ether theory, where the speed of light is ##c## relative to the ether, and ballistic theory, where the speed of light is ##c## relative to the emitter.
I think Einstein wanted to give a physical operational definition of the reference frames involved, and indeed there are two frames of reference involved here: the rest frame of the light source and the observer's rest frame. Einstein's argument in the famous 1905 paper on moving bodies was in terms of a symmetry principle, i.e., in modern terms he demanded to find a spacetime description such that (a) the special principle of relativity is fulfilled (tacitly assuming also that in any inertial frame an observer finds the geometry of space to by Euclidean) and (b) the Maxwell equations are form invariant. So he had to find a spacetime description and transformation laws from one frame to the other for all the physical quantities involved in electrodynamics (em. field components, charge and current density, kinematics of "electrons").

The ingenious act was to precisely pick up the one most simple piece contained in the Maxwell equations, which is relevant to get the spacetime transformation and makes the Maxwell equations fail to be Galilei invariant: The appearance of a fundamental constant of the dimension velocity in Maxwell's equations, i.e., the phase velocity of electromagnetic waves, ##c##, and the form invariance of Maxwell's equations implies that no matter how the transformation rules of all the em. quantities might look like, the space-time transformations must be such that the phase velocity of em. waves must be ##c## for any observer. Seen from the inertial rest frame of the light source this means that any observer moving with constant velocity in this frame observes the same phase velocity of the emitted light waves or, seen from the frame of any observer moving in the light-source frame the velocity of the light source.

This of course implicitly implied that there is no "aether", i.e., the em. waves are not oscillations of some elastic substance which would define another preferred frame of reference by its rest frame. Whether or not Einstein had the null result of the Michelson-Morley experiment in mind is not clear. According to his own recollection of events leading to his thoughts about the problem of electromagnetics in moving bodies, that was not the case.

1. What is the speed of light and sound?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. The speed of sound, however, varies depending on the medium it travels through. In air at room temperature, it travels at approximately 343 meters per second.

2. Why is the speed of light considered a revolutionary phenomenon?

The speed of light is considered revolutionary because it is the fastest speed at which energy can travel in our universe. It also plays a crucial role in many scientific theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, and has led to groundbreaking discoveries in the fields of astronomy and physics.

3. How was the speed of light first measured?

The speed of light was first measured by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the 17th century. He observed the moons of Jupiter and noticed that their orbits appeared to be slightly off at different times of the year. Rømer concluded that this was due to the time it took for light to travel from Jupiter to Earth, and was able to calculate the speed of light using this information.

4. Can the speed of light and sound be exceeded?

No, according to our current understanding of physics, the speed of light and sound cannot be exceeded. This is due to the laws of special relativity, which state that the speed of light is a constant and cannot be surpassed. However, there are some theories that suggest the possibility of faster-than-light travel, but they have not been proven.

5. How does the speed of light and sound affect our daily lives?

The speed of light and sound have a significant impact on our daily lives. Light allows us to see and is crucial for photosynthesis, while sound allows us to communicate and perceive our surroundings. The speed of light also plays a role in technologies such as fiber optics and satellite communications. Without the speed of light and sound, our world would be vastly different.