Bad idea to use a too big heat exchanger?

In summary, when choosing a plate heat exchanger for a water based central heating system, it is important to consider the application and make sure it is not too big for the system. While a larger heat exchanger may have benefits such as lower pressure drop and more efficient heat exchange, it can also lead to issues such as low fluid velocity and uneven surface temperature. In this particular case, where the heat source is a district heating system and the other side is a normal radiator system, a larger heat exchanger may be beneficial as long as pumps and control valves are sized appropriately.
TSN79
I'm constructing a water based central heating system, and in it is a plate heat exchanger. People often tell me not to be scrimpy regarding its effect when picking one. But then I've heard others say that having a 150 kW heat exchanger - when the effect needed will never rise above 40 kW - is perhaps an even worse idea. Could someone give me some point about why it's a bad idea so I can relay?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on the application. Often it is a significant benefit (lower pressure drop, more efficient heat exchange). When you say a "water based central heating system", what exactly do you mean? What is the heat source that heats the water via the plate heat exchanger?

An example where too big is a bad idea is a heating coil in a 100% outside air handling unit. Too big means low fluid velocity, means uneven surface temperature, means you can freeze the water in the coil even when it comes in very hot.

russ_watters said:
When you say a "water based central heating system", what exactly do you mean?
The hottest side of the exchanger comes from a district heating system (120°C supply). The other side consist of a normal radiator system (supply/return 70-50°C).

Oh, just water to water: Bigger is better. Just make sure you appropriately size any pumps or control valves .

I would advise against using a heat exchanger that is significantly larger than the required heat load for your central heating system. While it may seem like a good idea to have excess capacity, it can actually lead to several issues.

Firstly, using a heat exchanger that is much larger than necessary can result in inefficient heat transfer. This means that your system will use more energy than needed to heat the water, leading to higher energy costs and potentially causing strain on your heating system.

Additionally, a larger heat exchanger may also take up more space and require more materials, which can increase the cost of your system. It may also be more difficult to install and maintain.

Furthermore, a heat exchanger that is too big for the required heat load may not operate at its optimal performance level. This can lead to issues such as increased pressure drop and reduced flow rate, which can negatively impact the overall efficiency of your central heating system.

In summary, it is important to carefully consider the heat load and select a heat exchanger that is appropriately sized for your system. Using a heat exchanger that is too big can lead to inefficiency, increased costs, and potential performance issues.

1. Why is it a bad idea to use a too big heat exchanger?

Using a heat exchanger that is too big for your system can lead to inefficient operation and increased energy consumption. The excess surface area in the heat exchanger will result in a larger temperature difference between the hot and cold fluids, which can decrease heat transfer efficiency.

2. Will using a too big heat exchanger save me money on energy costs?

No, using a too big heat exchanger will actually increase your energy costs. The larger surface area will require more energy to maintain the desired temperature difference between the hot and cold fluids.

3. Can using a too big heat exchanger damage my equipment?

Yes, using a too big heat exchanger can potentially damage your equipment. The increased flow rate and pressure drop caused by the excess surface area can put strain on your system and lead to premature failure of components.

4. How do I determine the right size for a heat exchanger?

The right size for a heat exchanger depends on factors such as the flow rate, temperature difference, and type of fluids being used. It is important to consult with a professional engineer or use sizing software to determine the optimal size for your specific system.

5. Are there any benefits to using a larger heat exchanger?

In some cases, using a larger heat exchanger may be necessary for certain applications. However, it is important to carefully consider the cost and energy implications before choosing a larger size. In most cases, it is best to use a properly sized heat exchanger for optimal efficiency and cost savings.