Calculating data points on a graph

In summary, the conversation discusses a graph and how to adjust the height of the graph while preserving the general shape. The problem is determining the values of the data points at every 1ms interval. The solution proposed is to relabel the axis or multiply all values by a certain factor. However, the program needs to be able to automatically generate the data points based on a desired peak and duration. The use of alpha functions is also mentioned, but it is not practical for a large number of possible peaks and durations. The conversation ends with a question about whether the program can find the maximum value in a set of data points.
Undernet
http://www.clearandblue.com/graph.GIF

I have a graph shown above however I want to adjust the height of the graph (where it reaches -70 @ 20ms) whilst still preserving the general shape of the graph. The problem is that I need to know the values of the data points at every 1ms interval (each square represents 20ms).

Does anybody have any idea of how I would calculate the values? For example if I decided that the peak would be at -80 instead of -70 @ 20ms then it would change all the other data points, but how do I calculate what the new values of the data points for each millisecond?

Is there some equation or graph program that can do this?

I hope I am making sense here, my math skills are pathetic.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You could just relabel the axis, and leave the actual graph alone.

Yea normally you could do that but this graph is being represented in a computer program, the picture is just for illustration. The graph in the computer is stored in an array with 140 slots; each slot representing 1ms which would hold one of the data point values.

If you just multiply all the values by 8/7 it should work.

Quote>"If you just multiply all the values by 8/7 it should work."

Yes that could work but that's for one specific peak.

I need a way of simply giving my program the value of the desired peak of the graph and the program should go and generate all the data values for each ms, that would, if mapped onto a visible graph draw a graph that is the same shape as my example graph but with the peak at the specified value.

I also need to do the same sort of thing with the time too, by specifying the length of the graph to the program and the program should generate the data points that would, if mapped onto a visible graph, draw a graph that has the same shape as my example but with the length being at the specified time. On my example, the graph ends at 140ms but I would like to give the program a value and it should extend the graph to the desired value whilst still preserving the general shape of the graph.

I looked into using something called alpha functions, by having one function for the raise from the base to the peak and another from the fall from the peak to the base. However I don’t know how to modify the functions so it draws a graph that reaches the desired peak and time scale automatically just by giving the desired peak and duration. I have to create a whole new alpha function for each desired peak and duration at the moment which is not practical since the peak could be in the range of 100 different values, the same goes for duration too.

Thanks

Well, can this program find the maximum value out of a finite set of values (like Max(1, 4, 2, 7, 4, 2) = 7)? If so, then just find the max, and multiply each point by desiredvalue/max.

1. How do I calculate data points on a graph?

To calculate data points on a graph, you will need to have the x and y values of each point. Then, use a formula or function specific to the type of graph you are working with to determine the coordinates of each data point. This can be done manually or with the help of a graphing calculator or computer program.

2. What is the purpose of calculating data points on a graph?

The purpose of calculating data points on a graph is to visually represent the relationship between different variables. By plotting the data points, patterns and trends can be identified, making it easier to interpret the data and draw conclusions.

3. How do I choose the appropriate scale for my graph?

The scale of a graph is determined by the range of values for each variable. To choose an appropriate scale, consider the range of values for each variable and select a scale that allows all data points to be clearly displayed without being too spread out or too condensed.

4. What is the difference between a line graph and a bar graph?

A line graph shows the relationship between two variables by connecting data points with a line. On the other hand, a bar graph displays data using rectangular bars of different lengths to represent each data point. Line graphs are better for showing continuous data, while bar graphs are more suitable for comparing discrete categories.

5. Can I use a graph to predict future data points?

While a graph can help identify patterns and trends, it is not a reliable method for predicting future data points. Other factors and variables can impact future data, so it is important to use caution when making predictions based on a graph.