Combinatronics Probability help

• Thread starter squaremeplz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability that each state will be represented if 50 out of 100 senators are chosen at random is extremely low, approximately 9.91*10^-30. This is due to the fact that for each senator chosen, the number of remaining senators from different states decreases, making it increasingly unlikely to choose senators from all 50 states.
squaremeplz

Homework Statement

If 50 out of 100 senators are chosen at random, what is the probability that each state will be represented?

Homework Equations

combinatronics i.e. n choose k

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the folliwng

what I did was, please excuse my poor notation, is the following.

P(A) = (1 1)/(2 1)

(the above are binomial coefficiants where (n k))

(1 1) for the case that 50 of the chosen reps are all from dif states

and (2 1) for picking sens from a different state.

Lets say you pick one from MA same state, your next choice can only be the same state or a different one.

so the probability is 1/2.

I also did (50 50)/(100 50) but the probability is unrealisticly low, like 9.91*10^-30

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

9.91*10^-30

Doesn't seem THAT low, but it's fairly low. Think about it:

The first choice is a gimme, any senator will be from a state you haven't chosen yet. For the second choice, 98/99 senators will get you a new state, then 96/98 and so on. You choose 50 senators out of 100 and what are your choices each of those 50 times?

Related to Combinatronics Probability help

What is combinatorics probability?

Combinatorics probability is the branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects or events in a specific order. It involves using mathematical principles to determine the likelihood of a certain outcome or combination of outcomes.

What are the basic principles of combinatorics probability?

The basic principles of combinatorics probability include the fundamental counting principle, permutations, and combinations. These principles are used to determine the total number of possible outcomes in a given situation.

How do you calculate the probability of a specific outcome using combinatorics?

To calculate the probability of a specific outcome using combinatorics, you need to first determine the total number of possible outcomes and then divide the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This will give you the probability of that specific outcome occurring.

What are some real-world applications of combinatorics probability?

Combinatorics probability is used in various fields such as finance, computer science, and genetics. Some real-world applications include predicting stock market trends, analyzing DNA sequences, and designing secure password combinations.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using combinatorics probability?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using combinatorics probability include forgetting to account for all possible outcomes, assuming that all outcomes are equally likely, and confusing permutations with combinations. It is important to carefully consider the problem and use the correct principles to accurately calculate the probability.