Combinatronics, drawing exactly 1 ace from a card deck

In summary, the probability of drawing exactly one ace from a 52 card deck when drawing 5 cards is 5/2598960 or roughly 1.62*10^-6. There are two ways to approach this problem using different logic, one by considering the number of options for the ace card and the other by considering the number of options for non-ace cards. A more efficient way to solve this problem is by using the hypergeometric distribution, which takes into account the total number of items, the number of desired items, and the number of items in the sample. This approach can be further explored by researching the hypergeometric distribution.
whitejac

Homework Statement

In a 52 card deck, if you draw 5 cards find the probability of drawing exactly one ace.

Homework Equations

(n k) = n!/k!(n-k)!
P(A) = |A|/|S|

The Attempt at a Solution

So I took the logic of a different example we had that stated it like this - If we have 5 options but only 1 of them can be an ace then we have (5 1). This gives a very very unrealistic problem as the sample space is (52 5) yielding me 5/2598960 to equal roughly 1.62*10^-6

So I took a different logic stating that if we have 4 cards that are aces then 48 of them are not. Then we may choose 4 of these cards for (48 4).

My question is which one of these or are neither of them a very profficient way to approach these? I've seen it put where you can logically construct these situations using something to the effect of:
(n1 k1)(n2 k2) and this would produce the appropriate number for your |A| because you construct it through multiplecation. ie (48 1) = (12 1)(4 1).

Physics news on Phys.org
"Combinatronics" is randomly putting together electronic components. :smile:

"Combinatorics" is that branch of mathematics which studies the combinations of objects drawn from a finite set. :wink:

In a deck of 52 cards, 4 of them aces, so 4/52= 1/13 of them are aces. What is the probability that the first card drawn is an ace? If that happens then there are 51 cards left, 3 of them aces and 48 "non-aces". What are the probabilities that each of the next 4 cards drawn are NOT aces? The product of those is the probability of first drawing an ace and then four non-aces.

What is the probability that the first card drawn is NOT an ace, the second is an ace, and the next three are not aces? The product of those is the probability that the second card drawn is an ace and the four others are non-aces. The point is that you should see that while the individual fractions involved are different, the 5 numerators and 5 denominators are the same as before, just in different positions, so the product is the same.

That is, the probability of drawing a single ace and four non-aces, in any specific order, is the same whatever the order. And there are 5 such orders:
ANNNN, NANNN, NNANN, NNNAN, and NNNNA, where "A" represents an ace, "N" a non-ace.

Likes RUber
That was a very concise and intuitive explanation, thank you!

I'm a bit curious if there were not a better way to do it using combinations. I can see the factorials building up, but I'll need to spend more time playing with them before I think I'll really grasp it. I liked your approach though as it does more to derive the equations than simply memorize a tactic.

whitejac said:
That was a very concise and intuitive explanation, thank you!

I'm a bit curious if there were not a better way to do it using combinations. I can see the factorials building up, but I'll need to spend more time playing with them before I think I'll really grasp it. I liked your approach though as it does more to derive the equations than simply memorize a tactic.

Sure: use the "hypergeometric distribution".

In this case you have 52 items, of which 4 are of type I (Aces) and 48 are of type II (non-Aces). You draw n = 5 items without replacement, and want the probability that your sample contains k = 1 item of type I. Google 'hypergeometric distribution' to see the relevant formulas.

1. What is the probability of drawing exactly 1 ace from a standard deck of cards?

The probability of drawing exactly 1 ace from a standard deck of cards is 4/52, or approximately 7.7%. This is because there are 4 aces in a deck of 52 cards.

2. How many possible combinations are there for drawing exactly 1 ace from a deck of cards?

There are 4 possible combinations for drawing exactly 1 ace from a deck of cards. These are: drawing the ace of hearts, the ace of diamonds, the ace of spades, or the ace of clubs.

3. Is it more likely to draw an ace from the top of the deck or the bottom of the deck?

It is equally likely to draw an ace from the top or the bottom of the deck, as the position of the card does not affect the probability of drawing an ace.

4. What is the probability of drawing exactly 1 ace from a deck of cards if one card has already been drawn and it was not an ace?

The probability of drawing exactly 1 ace from a deck of cards in this scenario is 3/51, or approximately 5.9%. This is because there are now only 51 cards left in the deck, and 3 of them are aces.

5. How does the probability of drawing exactly 1 ace change if multiple cards have already been drawn and none of them were aces?

The probability of drawing exactly 1 ace decreases as more cards are drawn without getting an ace. This is because there are fewer aces left in the deck, making it less likely to draw one. The exact calculation would depend on the number of cards already drawn and the number of aces remaining in the deck.