Is a National Emergency Declaration for Swine Flu Necessary?

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary: Michigan, they closed 70 schools state wide because more then 50% of the students, at each of the schools, had the flu. We have several state buildings prepared to handle this over-flow, if needed.It got over-hyped right away and people realized it and now there may be a natural reaction to under-hype it. I'm obviously under-hyped by it, since I don't really care about vaccinations or prevention. But I may be wrong to be under-hyped by it, I guess.
turbo-1 said:
In that outbreak, armories and other public buildings all across the state were opened, and the inoculations were given via the pneumatic guns that the military uses. Much faster than using needles.

I remember those. A quick google search finds them now only in http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/objects/public_health_and_hygiene/1981-1398.aspx"

What's wrong with a http://journals.lww.com/biomedicalsafetystandards/Citation/1986/05150/Inoculation_Jet_Gun_Linked_To_64_Case_Outbreak_of.1.aspx" ?

Sorry! said:
I highly doubt Obama makes his decisions based on media misrepresentation or by googling things... (wasn't it McCain who did that?)

He probably based it on a recommendation from the CDC when they saw that there was going to be a panic based on the widespread disinformation. I'll bet they got lots of phone calls on Thursday.

It's hard to say though. How will people trying to get swine flu shots compare to http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/29/business/29walmart.html" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh my god! How come nobody pointed this out before?!

http://www.flu.gov/professional/federal/h1n1emergency10242009.html

Past instances where authority to grant Section 1135 waivers was enabled for recent disaster events include

* Hurricane Katrina (2005)
* 56th Presidential Inauguration (2009)
* Hurricanes Ike and Gustav (2008)
* North Dakota flooding (2009)

And there I thought it had gone quite well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry! said:
Yes I did see the link you posted as well as the bolded parts. No I do not think that you providing this as support will substantiate your claim that THATS what's happening. They are making a CLAIM too and your basing your own claim off their original claim. I'm using solid numbers based on observational evidence and numerical data that's been collected which ADMITS to skewed results surrounding new testing methods but since then (a few months ago) the methods for reporting to the numerical data has been pretty much normilized...

The question is did you read the entire report that I posted or are you just dead sure that what you think is 100% correct and the rest of the people that goes against you are crazy, unintelligent, are just trying to start a panic, or are just trying to make money and none of it has any backing what-so-ever.
Are you serious? I think you need to come out of left field, where on Earth are you coming up with these accusations? You are being warned, this kind of behavior is not allowed here.

Evo said:
Are you serious? I think you need to come out of left field, where on Earth are you coming up with these accusations? You are being warned, this kind of behavior is not allowed here.

So me directing a question to you is not allowable behaviour. Good to know.

Sorry! said:
So me directing a question to you is not allowable behaviour. Good to know.
Making false and unsubstantiated accusations and claims is not allowable.

I live in Hamilton...and...I don't see the zombies yet. I know people who have had it, and they are over it, and I've been around them, and got nothing. I think the panic is over-hyped. This won't be the first or last strain of the flu that will mutate, it's as close to inevitable as possible. How many times have we heard about it in previous years? Call me when 90% of the world population has died off, then I'll panic ( or maybe a bit before that ;] ).

Virtuous said:
I live in Hamilton...and...I don't see the zombies yet. I know people who have had it, and they are over it, and I've been around them, and got nothing. I think the panic is over-hyped. This won't be the first or last strain of the flu that will mutate, it's as close to inevitable as possible. How many times have we heard about it in previous years? Call me when 90% of the world population has died off, then I'll panic ( or maybe a bit before that ;] ).

I'm not saying that it should cause a panic but Evo is saying that it isn't true that this years flu season is worse.

Sorry! said:
I'm not saying that it should cause a panic but Evo is saying that it isn't true that this years flu season is worse.
I'm not the only one either, read the thread. Read the other threads about the flu and not wanting to get vaccines because they don't consider this season to be of concern. It seems I am more concerned than others.

If it's available, I just can't see why anyone wouldn't be inclined to get vaccinated.

B. Elliott said:
If it's available, I just can't see why anyone wouldn't be inclined to get vaccinated.
I won't, because I would have to be in a public place where the risk of adverse reaction to fragrance chemicals would be much higher than the possible risk of getting the flu. Flu might make me feel bad for a few days - fragrance chemicals could kill me, put me in the ER/intensive care for days, and still make me feel really bad for a few days.

B. Elliott said:

I've already gotten the flu for this season so I don't see any point in getting the shot.