Non-linear Resistance and Ohm's Law

In summary, the current through a non-linear resistor would not obey Ohm's law, but in any sufficiently small neighborhood around some specific voltage you could model it as an ideal resistor that does follow Ohm's law in series with an ideal voltage source.
Chewy0087
hey there, my question is just regarding non-linear resistors, basically if you had a situation whereby the current through a non-linear resistor is given by

[tex]I = 0.5 V^2[/tex]

and you know the current through it (and thereby it's voltage), so for arguments sake current = 2A and therefore voltage = 2V. at this point, would the "resistance" of the resistor still obey Ohms law? so would therefore be 1 ohm (at this current)? or would it simply be the case that it has no "resistance" at all? or it's "resistance" is the fact that I = 0.5 V^2...

thanks in advance, it's quite a simple problem but i just thought of it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Its resistance would be [itex]1\,\Omega[/itex], but it wouldn't follow Ohm's Law, which states that the ratio [itex]V/R[/itex] is constant.

Chewy0087 said:
hey there, my question is just regarding non-linear resistors, basically if you had a situation whereby the current through a non-linear resistor is given by

[tex]I = 0.5 V^2[/tex]

and you know the current through it (and thereby it's voltage), so for arguments sake current = 2A and therefore voltage = 2V. at this point, would the "resistance" of the resistor still obey Ohms law? so would therefore be 1 ohm (at this current)? or would it simply be the case that it has no "resistance" at all? or it's "resistance" is the fact that I = 0.5 V^2...

thanks in advance, it's quite a simple problem but i just thought of it
It would not follow Ohm's law, but in any sufficiently small neighborhood around some specific voltage you could model it as an ideal resistor that does follow Ohm's law in series with an ideal voltage source.

hmm I see, thanks a lot for clearing this up for me, but it begs a question then,

if the question was such that it asked (with my earlier model) something along the lines of, given a 9V battery, what fixed resistance resistor must be placed in series with it in order for the current in the circuit to be 2A would that mean that;

given the current resistance of the non linear resistor the resistance of the fixed one must satisfy [tex](\frac{1}{1+R})* 9=2[/tex]

or would you simply say that in order for that to occur the current would be 2A and 7V must pass through the linear resistor giving it a resistance of 14 ohms?

i think the answer is the former, but it makes it confusing :eek:

You would solve:
[tex]\sqrt{2 I} + R I = V[/tex]
Where V is the battery voltage, I is the current, and R is the unknown resistance.

DaleSpam said:
You would solve:
[tex]\sqrt{2 I} + R I = V[/tex]
Where V is the battery voltage, I is the current, and R is the unknown resistance.

hmm okay, so you totally discount the "current resistance" of the non-linear resistance? because clearly the first way i outlined doesn't yield the correct result

thanks for the help, much obliged

Last edited:

1. What is resistance and how does it affect current and voltage?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or component impedes the flow of electricity. It is measured in ohms (Ω). The higher the resistance, the lower the current and voltage will be. This is because resistance causes the electrons to encounter more obstacles, reducing their flow.

2. How are current and voltage related?

Current and voltage are directly proportional to each other according to Ohm's Law. This means that as voltage increases, so does current, and vice versa. However, this relationship can be affected by the resistance in the circuit.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) refer to the direction in which electrons flow. In AC, the direction of electrons alternates back and forth, while in DC, electrons flow in only one direction. Most electronic devices use DC current, while AC is used in power transmission.

4. How does the resistance of a material affect its ability to conduct electricity?

The resistance of a material is directly related to its ability to conduct electricity. Materials with low resistance, such as metals, are good conductors of electricity, while materials with high resistance, such as rubber, are poor conductors. This is why metals are often used in electrical wiring and circuits.

5. How do you measure current and voltage in a circuit?

Current is measured using an ammeter, which is connected in series with the circuit. Voltage is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel with the circuit. Both of these measurements are typically taken in units of amps (A) and volts (V), respectively.