Write 20 lines of SCPI to use a Keithley over GPIB

• Thread starter 0xDEADBEEF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the SCPI language as a standard for measurement instruments to communicate with computers. It is noted that Keithley is a company advocating for this standard, as they produce popular multimeters commonly used in physics labs. However, there is a discussion about whether SCPI is necessary, as other protocols such as USB and Ethernet are more efficient. The conversation also mentions the use of GPIB as a message bus for SCPI, but some do not see the benefit of this standard.

SCPI is...

• the best thing since sliced bread!!!!1one!eleven

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • braindamaging junk to torture PhD students

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • the South Caucasus Parliamentary Initiative

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
0xDEADBEEF
Do commands want to life in trees? I just found out that I have to write 20 lines of SCPI to use a Keithley over GPIB. (Please don't mention Labview as it gives spaghetti code a completely new meaning).
Does anyone else think that SCPI stinks of zealous bureaucrats? Do people like it because they have actually been able to drop in an instrument of another manufacturer?

Physics news on Phys.org

Is this written in English?

:) SCPI wants to be a standard language for measurement instruments to talk with computers. GPIB is the message bus for that. So the idea is, that you can simply replace a voltmeter from one company for that of another one. But the standard is quite ugly. Keithley is a company pushing that standard. And they produce some of the most common multimeters in physics labs commonly known as "Keithleys".

We use keithlys at our labs at school and I have a lot of experience with HP's agalents too. Personally, I don't see the reason for the GPIB standard as modern USB and ethernet protocol outperforms GPIB in just about every way. The newer equipment that we use in our lab uses ethernet as everyone now refuses to buy anything with that GPIB BS.

BTW, the primary language on the forums in english.

1. What is SCPI?

SCPI stands for Standard Commands for Programmable Instruments. It is a standardized language used to control and communicate with electronic test and measurement equipment, such as the Keithley over GPIB.

2. What is GPIB?

GPIB stands for General Purpose Interface Bus, also known as IEEE-488. It is a standard communication interface used to connect electronic test and measurement instruments to a computer or controller.

3. How do I write SCPI commands to use a Keithley over GPIB?

To use a Keithley over GPIB, you will need to write SCPI commands in a programming language, such as Python or LabVIEW, that supports GPIB communication. The specific commands will depend on the model and capabilities of your Keithley instrument.

4. Can I use SCPI commands to control multiple Keithley instruments over GPIB?

Yes, you can use SCPI commands to control multiple Keithley instruments over GPIB. Each instrument will have a unique GPIB address that you can specify in your SCPI commands to communicate with a specific instrument.

5. Are there any resources available to help me write SCPI commands for my Keithley instrument?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you write SCPI commands for your Keithley instrument. You can refer to the instrument's user manual, online forums, and the manufacturer's website for documentation, examples, and support. Additionally, many programming languages have libraries or modules specifically designed for controlling test and measurement instruments over GPIB using SCPI commands.