Finding the domain without a calculator

In summary, when finding the domain of a rational expression, you need to look at the denominator and find any values that make it equal to 0. These values are not included in the domain. In the case of a square root in the numerator, you also need to consider any values that would make the square root imaginary. The domain for these types of expressions would be all real numbers except for those values that make the denominator equal to 0 or make the square root imaginary.
UrbanXrisis
Finding the domain is easy with a graphing calculator but what if I was to do it without one. Is there a way to do it?

How would I find the domain of f(x)=(x-1)/(x^2+1)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well in a rational expression, you have to look at the denominator, because if a value is put in the denominator and it makes it 0 then it will go to infinite, so you have to solve the denominator and find the values that makes it 0, and in the domain you have to specify any value of the Reals except those values that makes it 0, of course in the proper notation.

In your sample, you should do x^2 + 1 =0 so, x^2 = -1 and x = sqrt(-1), so that will be x = i, so an imaginary number will make it 0, that's great so this means the domain will be all the real numbers, because no real number can make it 0.

what if the denominator had a sqrt such as sqrt(x-2)/(x^2-x)

I will assume the following:

sqrt(x-2)/sqrt(x^2-x) well factoring the deniminator

sqrt(x-2)/sqrt(x(x-1)), read above what i said about the denominator.

Now this is a little addon:
take for example the numerator sqrt(x-2), if you had a value like x=2, it will make it 0 right? what about if you had a value like x=1 wouldn't that make it sqrt(-1), whoa, so now it has gone out of the real numbers into the imaginary numbers... and a value below 2 will put it into imaginary numbers..., so what should the restriction be? obviously x>=2.

Now try to find the domain for this.

UrbanXrisis said:

Same idea; solve the denominator for 0. The domain is all those values that don't make it 0

so when there is a sqrt in the numerator, I must take that into account when finding the domain right? so it's different than just solving for the denominator is that correct?

What is the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values for that function. It is the set of values that can be plugged into the function to produce an output.

Why is it important to find the domain of a function?

Finding the domain of a function is important because it helps us determine which values are valid inputs for the function. It also allows us to identify any potential restrictions or limitations for the function.

How can you find the domain of a function without a calculator?

To find the domain of a function without a calculator, you need to analyze the function and identify any values that would result in an undefined output. These values are typically restricted due to division by zero, taking the square root of a negative number, or logarithms of non-positive numbers.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding the domain without a calculator?

Some common mistakes to avoid when finding the domain without a calculator include forgetting to consider potential restrictions, using the wrong operations or rules, or making mathematical errors. It is important to carefully analyze the function and follow proper mathematical procedures.

Can the domain of a function change?

Yes, the domain of a function can change depending on the form of the function or any restrictions that may be present. It is important to analyze the function carefully to determine the appropriate domain for each specific case.