What is the value of the band gap in a good conductor

In summary, the conversation is about the difference between conductors, semiconductors, and insulators and the value of the band gap for good conductors. The discussion also touches on the confusion around the concept of a negative gap and the need for specific numbers from a teacher for a school assignment. The conversation ends with a reminder to post complete questions in the appropriate forum.
pmh118
sorry i moved it to correct forum i rushed in, in my panic

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can be completely off, but... think: what is a band gap? What is a difference between conductor, semiconductor and isolator?

The difference between conductor, semiconductor and isolator is the size of the gap the smaller the better the conductivity conducters can overlap but unfortunatly i need specific numbers of the energy gap value like Si =1.11eV but i need the value of a good conductor not a semiconductor.

pmh118 said:
conducters can overlap

If they do, is there a gap at all?

there is no gap but there is still a value it will be a negitive value my lecture wasnt happy with my explanation of there being 0 value he wants specific numbers

I don't know what your instructor is looking for.. good conductors don't have gaps, or anything that resembles a negative gap. Semimetals can be described as having a negative gap, but they aren't usually good conductors.

Ok guys thanks for all the rapid response mucha grazsia i will email my teach now and find out what he wants as it has to be handed in on monday (Arrgggh)
I will update this thread with what his replie is for those that are interested.
Thanks all PF members.

It appears that this is a school work and should have been done in the HW/Coursework forum. Furthermore, your question is utterly vague (if you noticed, several posts here were addressing a very confusing part of your question, not addressing the possible answer).

If you are asking something as part of a school work, do that in the HW/Coursework forum. Per the rules of that forum, post the whole, complete question, not just your interpretation of the question.

Zz.

1. What is a band gap?

A band gap is the energy range in a solid material where no electron states are allowed. It is the energy difference between the top of the valence band (where electrons are bound to atoms) and the bottom of the conduction band (where electrons are free to move and conduct electricity).

2. How is the value of the band gap determined in a good conductor?

The value of the band gap in a good conductor is determined by the material's electronic band structure, which is dependent on the arrangement of atoms and their electronic properties. This can be calculated using theoretical models and experimental techniques such as spectroscopy.

3. Why is the band gap important in a good conductor?

The band gap is important in a good conductor because it determines the material's ability to conduct electricity. A smaller band gap allows for more free electrons to move and thus, increases the material's conductivity. A larger band gap means there are fewer free electrons and the material is a poorer conductor.

4. What is considered a "good" band gap in a conductor?

The definition of a "good" band gap in a conductor can vary depending on the application. In general, a smaller band gap (less than 3 eV) is desirable for good conductivity, but this also depends on other factors such as the material's crystal structure and temperature.

5. How does the value of the band gap affect a conductor's properties?

The value of the band gap affects a conductor's properties by determining its ability to conduct electricity, as well as other properties such as thermal conductivity and optical properties. A larger band gap can also make a material more resistant to changes in temperature and other external factors.