Is there a way to calculate this difficult integral analytically?

• Thread starter bruno67
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: For example, if b = 0, you can lay the branchcut of z^c on the positive real axis and then integrate of a keyhole contour (google image "keyhole contour" if you don't know what shape i mean), then on the bottom line you'd get -e^{-2 \pi i c} I (with I the integral you're interested in), and on the top line obviously I itself. The contribution of the origin could be controlled, I think (for the simple case of 0 < c < 1 it will go to zero, for c > 1 i think you can also get the answer but haven't thought it through). The sum of the contour integral would then equal 2 \pi
bruno67
I am trying to calculate an integral of the form

[tex]I=\int_{0}^{\infty}\exp(iax)\frac{(x^2+b^2)^{-c}}{x+id}dx,[/tex]

where [tex]a,b,d\in\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]c>0[/tex]. I don't think it's possible to do it analytically (at least I couldn't do it). Is there a way to calculate the "exact" value by using a series expansion, perhaps?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think i can do it analytically in closed form. Are you still interested (as you posted it in april)? (otherwise I won't be bothered to type it out)

mr. vodka said:
I think i can do it analytically in closed form. Are you still interested (as you posted it in april)? (otherwise I won't be bothered to type it out)

Yes, I am still interested, and I haven't been able to find the solution. How do you think it can be done?

My apologies, I was too hasty, my reasoning only works for b = 0... :(

mr. vodka said:
My apologies, I was too hasty, my reasoning only works for b = 0... :(
Still, I would be curious to know how you did it, even for b=0.

shoot, seems I'm wrong again: my idea was to play with contour integrals.
For example, if b = 0, you can lay the branchcut of z^c on the positive real axis and then integrate of a keyhole contour (google image "keyhole contour" if you don't know what shape i mean), then on the bottom line you'd get [tex]-e^{-2 \pi i c} I[/tex] (with I the integral you're interested in), and on the top line obviously I itself. The contribution of the origin could be controlled, I think (for the simple case of 0 < c < 1 it will go to zero, for c > 1 i think you can also get the answer but haven't thought it through). The sum of the contour integral would then equal [tex]2 \pi i \frac{e^{ad-ic3\pi/2}}{d^c}[/tex] (where I used the residue of the integrand in z = -id for the case of d > 0; analogous expression for d < 0). Anyway the problem is that the contribution from the outer circle doesn't go to zero. That's the problem. Stupid of me, posted too hastily.

1. What is a difficult integral?

A difficult integral is a mathematical expression that cannot be solved using basic integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It may require advanced techniques or special functions to find a solution.

2. Why are difficult integrals important?

Difficult integrals are important because they often arise in real-world applications, especially in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. Solving these integrals allows us to accurately model and understand complex systems and phenomena.

3. How do you approach a difficult integral?

The approach to solving a difficult integral depends on the specific problem. Some techniques that may be helpful include using trigonometric or hyperbolic identities, expressing the integral in terms of a series, or transforming the integral into a different form.

4. Are there any strategies for solving very difficult integrals?

Yes, there are several strategies that can be used to solve very difficult integrals. These include using symmetry, breaking the integral into smaller parts, and making clever substitutions or transformations.

5. Can difficult integrals be solved numerically?

Yes, there are numerical methods for approximating the value of a difficult integral. These methods involve dividing the interval of integration into smaller intervals and using numerical techniques such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule to approximate the area under the curve.