Converting Wind Pressure to km/h for Aluminium Openings | 2400 Pa Resistance

In summary, Nicolas is trying to determine the wind speed in km/h for a pressure of 2400 Pascals in relation to Aluminium Openings that need to withstand this pressure. Using the Bernoulli's equation and assuming ideal fluid and perfect horizontal flow, the wind speed is calculated to be 60 m/s or 216 km/h. However, using an online converter, the wind speed is calculated to be 60.945 m/s or 219.4 km/h. After double-checking, it is confirmed that there is no discrepancy and the correct wind speed is 219.4 km/h using a wind density of 1.2923 kg/cu m.
nicolasmarie
Hi,

I want to express a wind pressure of 2400 Pascals in terms of km/h (speed) ?

The context here is Aluminium Openings having to resist such pressure.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Nicolas.

Engineering news on Phys.org
u can use bernollis equation assuming it a ideal fluid and perfect horizontal flow
(pressure/density)=(((veocity)^2)/2)

Thank you for your reply.

I have a pressure of 2400 Pascal.

Reworking your formula from the standpoint of pressure and using a density of 1.2923 (kg/cu m), I am getting as answer: 60 for velocity. (I think it is 60 m/s or 216 km/h).

I have used an online converter called Cactus 2000 and got 60.945 m/s or 219.4 km/h.

Is there a reason for the discrepancy 216 km/h and 219.4 km/h?

Am I using the right density of 1.2923 kg/cm?

Thanks,

Regards,

Nicolas

I have just check the excel sheet anew, there is no discrepancy. The wind speed using equation and online converter is 219.4 km/h using a wind density of 1.2923 kg/cu m.

1. How is wind pressure measured?

Wind pressure is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa). It can be measured using specialized instruments such as anemometers or barometers.

2. What is the formula for converting wind pressure?

The formula for converting wind pressure is: P2 = P1 * (V2 / V1)^2, where P1 is the original pressure, V1 is the original wind speed, P2 is the converted pressure, and V2 is the desired wind speed. This formula is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

3. Why is wind pressure conversion important?

Wind pressure conversion is important for understanding the impact of wind on structures and objects. It allows for accurate prediction of wind loads and the design of safe and sturdy buildings, bridges, and other structures.

4. What are some common units used for wind pressure conversion?

Some common units used for wind pressure conversion include pounds per square foot (psf), newtons per square meter (N/m2), kilograms per square meter (kg/m2), and kilopascals (kPa). The specific unit used may vary depending on the application and location.

5. How does wind pressure affect buildings and structures?

Wind pressure can exert significant force on buildings and structures, especially during severe weather events such as hurricanes or tornadoes. It can cause structural damage, including broken windows, damaged roofs, and even collapse in extreme cases. Proper wind pressure conversion is essential for ensuring the safety and stability of structures.