Why Is My Calculation of Carnot Engine Efficiency Incorrect?

In summary, the Carnot Cycle Efficiency is the maximum theoretical efficiency of a heat engine, calculated using the formula (T1 - T2) / T1, where T1 is the absolute temperature of the heat source and T2 is the absolute temperature of the heat sink. It serves as a benchmark for comparing the efficiencies of other heat engines, but is limited by its idealized reversible processes and does not account for real-world factors. Improvements can be made by increasing the temperature difference and reducing heat loss and friction in the system.
obxer22

Homework Statement

A Carnot engine operates between 230°C and 120°C, absorbing 6.30*10^4 J per cycle at the higher temperature.

What is the efficiency of the engine?

Homework Equations

eff = 1 - (Tcold/Thot)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using this equation, I get 47.83 percent, which the system is telling me is incorrect. Can anybody offer a solution to this? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
i was not using kelvin, so i got the answer

What is the Carnot Cycle Efficiency?

The Carnot Cycle Efficiency is the maximum theoretical efficiency of a heat engine, which is the ratio of the work output to the heat input. It is named after French physicist Sadi Carnot, who first described the cycle in 1824.

How is the Carnot Cycle Efficiency calculated?

The Carnot Cycle Efficiency is calculated using the formula:
Efficiency = (T1 - T2) / T1
Where T1 is the absolute temperature of the heat source and T2 is the absolute temperature of the heat sink.

What is the significance of the Carnot Cycle Efficiency?

The Carnot Cycle Efficiency is significant because it represents the maximum possible efficiency of any heat engine operating between two given temperatures. It serves as a benchmark for comparing the efficiencies of other heat engines.

What are the limitations of the Carnot Cycle Efficiency?

The Carnot Cycle Efficiency only applies to idealized reversible processes and does not take into account the effects of friction, heat loss, or other real-world factors that can decrease the efficiency of a heat engine. Therefore, it is not achievable in practical applications.

How can the Carnot Cycle Efficiency be improved?

The Carnot Cycle Efficiency can be improved by increasing the temperature difference between the heat source and heat sink, as well as reducing heat loss and friction in the system. This can be achieved through technological advancements and design improvements in heat engines.