Propagator for inverted harmonic potential.

In summary, the unitary nature of the inverted SHO propagator and the usual SHO propagator depends on the time scale and boundary conditions, and careful consideration is needed to fully understand its behavior.
FedEx
Hello.

I was trying to find out the propagator for the inverted SHO (something like tachyon oscilltor) and turns out that it remains unitary only for very short times. Which didnt make much sense to me. I tried looking at the usual SHO propagator, and that too seems to be not Unitary! ( I tried checking it by doing ∫U(x,x') U*(x',x'') dx' and see if that equals the dirac delta. I found that it blows up at x=x'' as it should but for x ≠ x' it is not zero)

Ofcourse I might(should) be making a mistake somewhere. But even an initial glance at the propagator for usual SHO would hint that there is something it fishy, since it contains terms like sin(ωt).

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
in advance.The propagator for the inverted SHO is a tricky one that requires careful consideration of certain conditions and assumptions. The unitary nature of the propagator depends on the time scale that you are considering. For short times, the propagator is unitary, however, for longer times, the propagator's unitary nature may be compromised. This can be seen in the usual SHO propagator as well. As you have noted, the sin(ωt) term in the propagator suggests that the system is not always unitary. This is because the oscillatory behavior of the sin(ωt) term leads to phase shifts which can result in the system not being described by a unitary transformation. To ensure that the system remains unitary, it is important to consider time-dependent boundary conditions.

1. What is a propagator for inverted harmonic potential?

A propagator for inverted harmonic potential is a mathematical expression that describes the time evolution of a quantum mechanical system in an inverted harmonic potential. It is used to calculate the probability of a particle being at a certain position at a certain time in this potential.

2. How is the propagator for inverted harmonic potential derived?

The propagator for inverted harmonic potential is derived using the Schrödinger equation and the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics. It involves summing over all possible paths a particle can take from an initial position to a final position in the potential.

3. What is the significance of the inverted harmonic potential in physics?

The inverted harmonic potential is commonly used in physics as a simple model for a system with a stable equilibrium position. It is also used to study phenomena such as tunneling and quantum oscillations.

4. How does the propagator for inverted harmonic potential differ from that of a regular harmonic potential?

The propagator for inverted harmonic potential is complex and oscillatory, while the propagator for a regular harmonic potential is real and decaying. This is due to the inverted nature of the potential, which causes a reversal of the direction of motion for the particle.

5. Can the propagator for inverted harmonic potential be applied to other potentials?

Yes, the propagator for inverted harmonic potential can be applied to other potentials as long as they have a stable equilibrium point. However, the mathematical derivation may differ depending on the specific potential being studied.