Hot Air to Cold Oil Heat Exchanger

In summary, the author suggests that a tankless H/W system can be used to supply hot water, and that a mechanical detail might vary depending on space available and fin efficiency. They also mention that batch to oil and continuous to hot gas might be possible, but leave it up to the supplier.
ndgranberry
Working on a project where we have been asked to utilize waste heat from a combustion process in order to increase the temperature of oil in a separate process. The hot air from combustion is at 340C
and the oil is at 22C with a target temperature of 65C I have not seen any hot air heat exchangers except ones used to heat air. Can someone give me some guidance or ideas? Point out any possible problems we should take into consideration?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You've never seen a gas water heater?

That is a iterative process though. Fill it up, heat it, empty it, start over. Is it possible to heat the oil fast enough for it to be a continuous process?

The question is partly can I use a shell and tube heat exchanger with hot air in the shell and oil in the tube and it be effective?

I think you want a duct cooler with gas in the duct and a tube bundle with longitudinal finning outside the tubes and oil inside the tube. Mechanical detail might vary depending on space available and fin efficiency. Shell-and- tube is possible. Most manufactures of double pipe exchanger have a line of pipe size heater that have longitudinally finned tube bundles. The duct is usually favorable because of lower pressure drop on the gas, say, 2-3 inches water in large applications. Either way sizing is best left to the suppliers.

ndgranberry said:
That is a iterative process though. Fill it up, heat it, empty it, start over. Is it possible to heat the oil fast enough for it to be a continuous process?

I have a tankless H/W system for my home. Cold water and gas flow in, CO2 and hot water flow out, it's about the size of a microwave and supplies all hot water, very common device.

Even tanked (gas or electric) systems don't empty; the tank is kept full, heating is controlled by a thermostat.

But Billhen is right; leave it up to the supplier. Give them your data (flow rates, cost, size, maintenance req., max pressure drop, temps ect ect) and they'll give their best solution.

The "batch" processing can possibly be converted to continuous by using your new heater as a circulation heater on an oil tank. In a large enough oil flow that is it's self continuous, a tank may not be needed. Control may require diverting the hot gas, and that might be unusual, Waste heat gas/flues usually go for all the gas cooling (heat recovery) they can get short of condensate in the downstream piping/duct. If your oil flow is small and your gas load large, you might consider an intermediate fluid that could take even more waste heat (like boiler feed water preheat) then use that intermediate fluid in a simple plain tube hairpin or shell-and-tube where the oil can just be on and off as needed. That is continuous to the hot gas and intermediate fluid, but batch to the oil. The oil heat exchanger might be large or small is such arrangement.

Last edited:

What is a hot air to cold oil heat exchanger?

A hot air to cold oil heat exchanger is a device that uses the principle of heat transfer to exchange heat between two fluids, in this case hot air and cold oil. It is commonly used in industrial processes to cool down hot oil and maintain a consistent temperature.

How does a hot air to cold oil heat exchanger work?

A hot air to cold oil heat exchanger works by passing hot air over tubes or coils containing cold oil. The heat from the hot air is transferred to the cold oil, causing it to warm up and the hot air to cool down. The cooled air is then released back into the atmosphere while the warmed oil is used for various industrial processes.

What are the benefits of using a hot air to cold oil heat exchanger?

There are several benefits to using a hot air to cold oil heat exchanger. It helps to regulate and maintain a consistent temperature for the oil, preventing it from overheating and potentially causing damage to equipment. It also reduces energy consumption and costs by using the heat from the hot air to warm up the cold oil. Additionally, it can help to increase the efficiency and productivity of industrial processes.

What are the different types of hot air to cold oil heat exchangers?

There are various types of hot air to cold oil heat exchangers, including shell and tube, plate heat exchangers, and coil heat exchangers. Shell and tube heat exchangers are the most commonly used and consist of a series of tubes surrounded by a larger shell. Plate heat exchangers use thin plates to transfer heat between fluids, and coil heat exchangers have a coiled design for more efficient heat transfer.

How do I choose the right hot air to cold oil heat exchanger for my needs?

When choosing a hot air to cold oil heat exchanger, consider factors such as the required heat transfer rate, the temperature and flow rate of the fluids, and the available space for installation. It is also important to consider the material of the heat exchanger and its compatibility with the fluids being used. Consulting with a professional or manufacturer can help determine the best heat exchanger for your specific needs.