Point me to a place to learn about worm drive design?

In summary, the conversation was about creating automated snips for trimming plants using Autodesk Inventor. The design and concept is solid and modeled with proof of operation. The next step is to prototype, but there is an issue with the gear. The gear ratio, diameter, and teeth number are known, but the individual needs help learning how to accurately model the gear in Inventor. A resource was provided, but more assistance or advice is appreciated.
urb-nurd
Hey guys!
I am currently creating some automated snips for trimming plants.
I am using auto desk inventor to design it all.
The design and concept is solid and modeled/animated to show proof of operation.
However now i want to try prototype - i can sort out everything aside from the gear.
I know my gear ratio, the diameter of both gears and the teeth number (so modulus).
Now i need to try see if i can actually accurately model the gear in inventor (currently just used a 1:40 worm gear that i fiddled to my required dimensions). However the issue is that i have no idea where to start learning!
Google hasn't been overly helpful in this scenario (or i just missed something good).

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

thanks a lot for taking time to read!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Welcome to PF.

Start here; http://www.qtcgears.com/Q420%20PDF%20Files/Tech.pdf

SECTION 9 WORM MESH
9.1 Worm Mesh Geometry
9.1.1 Worm Tooth Proportions
9.1.2 Number of Threads
9.1.3 Pitch Diameters, Lead and Lead Angle
9.1.4 Center Distance
9.2 Cylindrical Worm Gear Calculations
9.2.1 Axial Module Worm Gears
9.2.2 Normal Module System Worm Gears
9.3 Crowning Of The Worm Gear Tooth
9.4 Self-Locking Of Worm Mesh

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a-lot guys!

1. What is a worm drive and how does it work?

A worm drive is a mechanical gear system that consists of a threaded worm (a screw) and a worm gear (a wheel with teeth). The worm is rotated by a motor, causing the worm gear to move in a perpendicular direction. This creates a high gear reduction, allowing the motor to generate a large amount of torque to drive heavy loads.

2. What are the applications of worm drives?

Worm drives are commonly used in heavy machinery and equipment, such as elevators, cranes, and conveyor systems. They are also found in power tools, vehicles, and industrial robots. Their high torque capabilities make them ideal for applications that require precise and slow movements.

3. What are the advantages of worm drives compared to other gear systems?

One advantage of worm drives is their high gear reduction, which allows for a large amount of torque to be generated. They are also self-locking, meaning the worm gear cannot be turned by the worm once the motor is turned off. This makes them useful for preventing backdriving in applications where the motor needs to hold a load in place. Additionally, worm drives are compact and operate quietly.

4. What materials are commonly used in worm drive design?

The materials used in worm drive design vary depending on the application and the desired properties of the gear system. Steel is a common material for both the worm and worm gear due to its strength and durability. Bronze is often used for the worm gear due to its low friction and wear resistance. Other materials such as aluminum, plastic, and composite materials may also be used in certain applications.

5. How can I learn more about worm drive design?

There are various resources available for learning about worm drive design. Online courses, books, and tutorials are great starting points for understanding the basics of worm drives. Additionally, attending workshops or conferences on mechanical engineering or gear design can provide valuable insights from experts in the field. It is also helpful to experiment with designing and building your own worm drive system to gain hands-on experience.