Double Major for Math Major: Advice for Grad School & PhD

• Programs
  • Thread starter altcmdesc
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is a math major planning to go to graduate school and eventually get a PhD. They are also considering getting secondary school teaching certification and double majoring in another subject for more job options outside of academia. They are interested in double majoring in math and economics or math and statistics, with the latter requiring a master's degree for good job opportunities. They are seeking advice on which combination would be the best and are advised to also gain additional experience through courses, internships, and networking to increase employability.
altcmdesc
I'm a (pure) math major right now who is planning to go to graduate school and eventually get a PhD in that field. I'll most likely try to get secondary school teaching certification in case university teaching doesn't happen, but I'm a little concerned about getting jobs outside of academia should I not be able to find anything teaching. To fix this, I'm planning on double majoring in something (maybe even a minor would help?). My question is, what would be the best combination? Math/Physics? Math/Stats? Math/Econ? Math/Something else? I have absolutely no interest in computer science, so that isn't even an option in my mind. I was considering math/stats, but it's my understanding that to really get a good job in statistics a MS degree in statistics is more or less required.

I'm looking for some advice on this. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
One option that could be beneficial for you would be double majoring in math and economics. This combination of degrees will give you a well-rounded education and prepare you for many career options. Economics focuses on data-driven decision making, which can be useful when working with mathematical models. Additionally, economics can provide an understanding of the financial markets and how they work, which is essential to many economic decisions. With this combination, you will be able to apply mathematical models to the financial markets and become a successful analyst or consultant. Furthermore, economics provides a foundation for understanding economic theory and policy, which can be applied in many fields, such as finance, banking, and business. Lastly, the combination of math and economics could open up opportunities in teaching. You could teach economics courses at the university level, and use your math background to help students understand the concepts. Another option would be to double major in math and statistics. This combination of degrees will give you the ability to combine mathematics and data analysis to solve problems. Statistics is a field of study that uses data to make predictions and draw inferences. With this combination, you will be able to analyze data and make data-driven decisions. Additionally, this combination of degrees will give you a strong understanding of probability and inference, which are essential for many financial and economic decisions. Furthermore, with this combination, you will be able to teach statistics courses at the university level, and use your math background to help students understand the concepts. No matter which combination you choose, you will need to gain additional experience to increase your employability. Make sure to take courses related to the field you want to go into, participate in internships, and network with professionals in the field. This will give you the opportunity to gain valuable experience and increase your chances of securing a job after graduation.

First of all, congratulations on pursuing a double major and planning ahead for your future career! It's always a good idea to have multiple options and skills in today's job market.

In terms of which combination would be the best, it ultimately depends on your interests and strengths. Math and physics can be a great combination, as both fields involve problem-solving and critical thinking skills. However, if you have no interest in computer science, then it may not be the best fit for you.

Math and statistics can also be a strong combination, as they are closely related and both have high demand in various industries. While a master's degree in statistics may be preferred for certain jobs, having a strong foundation in both math and statistics can still open up many opportunities for you.

Another option could be math and economics, which can be a powerful combination for careers in finance, consulting, and data analysis. This combination may also be beneficial if you are interested in pursuing a PhD in economics.

Ultimately, the best advice I can give is to choose the combination that aligns with your interests and strengths. Consider talking to professors or professionals in each field to get a better understanding of what each major entails and what potential career paths may be available to you.

Also, keep in mind that your double major does not necessarily have to be in a STEM field. You could also consider pairing math with a humanities or social science major, which can provide a well-rounded education and unique perspectives for your future career.

In addition to a double major, you may also want to consider pursuing internships or research opportunities in your desired field to gain practical experience and make yourself more marketable to employers.

Overall, the key is to choose a combination that you are passionate about and that will provide you with a strong foundation for your future career goals. Good luck!

FAQ: Double Major for Math Major: Advice for Grad School & PhD

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major for Math major in graduate school?

A double major for Math major in graduate school can provide several benefits. Firstly, it allows you to gain a strong foundation in both mathematics and another subject, which can make you a more well-rounded and versatile candidate for jobs and research opportunities. Additionally, having a double major can also demonstrate your ability to handle a rigorous academic workload and your dedication to both subjects.

2. Is it necessary to have a double major in mathematics for graduate school?

No, it is not necessary to have a double major in mathematics for graduate school. While it can certainly be beneficial, especially if you are interested in pursuing a career in a field that involves both math and another subject, it is not a requirement for admission to most graduate programs. What is more important is having a strong foundation in mathematics and relevant experience in your desired field of study.

3. How can I balance my coursework and research responsibilities as a double major in math?

Balancing coursework and research as a double major in math can be challenging, but it is certainly possible. It is important to communicate with your advisors and professors to ensure that your coursework and research projects are manageable. Additionally, prioritizing your workload and staying organized can help you stay on top of your responsibilities. Don't be afraid to ask for help or seek out resources, such as tutoring or study groups, if needed.

4. Will having a double major in math make it easier to get into a PhD program?

Having a double major in math can certainly make you a more competitive candidate for PhD programs, but it is not a guarantee of admission. Admissions committees will also consider other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and statement of purpose. However, having a strong foundation in both mathematics and another subject can demonstrate your ability to handle the rigor of a PhD program and your potential for success in your chosen field of study.

5. Are there any specific double majors that are recommended for math majors interested in pursuing a PhD?

There is no one specific double major that is recommended for math majors interested in pursuing a PhD. It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. However, some common double majors for math majors include computer science, physics, economics, and statistics. It can also be beneficial to choose a second major that complements your math coursework and research interests. It is important to carefully consider your options and choose a double major that aligns with your academic and career goals.