Help to find skipped step in integration

• Thread starter johnpjust
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: Let K = R_0 / \sin^2 x_0Then we get the general solution: R = K \sin^2 xIn summary, the conversation discusses an integration problem involving the equation d(R)/(2*cos(x)) = (R*d(x))/(sin(x)). The final step of the solution involves using the properties of logarithms to find a constant, K, in the general solution R=K*sin^2(x). The value of K can be determined by setting R=R_0 and solving for K.
johnpjust
In a textbook I'm reading, a step in an example problem was skipped during integration, and I'm just not quite seeing how to get from "point A to B" in this.

(1) d(R)/(2*cos(x)) = (R*d(x))/(sin(x))

(2) d(R)/R = 2*d(sin(x))/(sin(x))

*Integrate* (here is where I get lost -- what is happening here?)

(3) R = (sin(x))^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you have:
[tex]\frac{dR}{R}=2\frac{d(\sin(x))}{\sin(x}}[/tex]
Integrating this yields:
[tex]\ln|R|-\ln|R_{0}|=2*(\ln|\sin(x)|-\ln|\sin_{x}_{0}|)[/tex]
Now, assuming that [itex]|R_{0}|=|\sin(x_{0})|=1[/itex]*, we get:
[tex]\ln|R|=2\ln|\sin(x)|[/tex]

I'm sure you manage the last step on your own, in the event that R>0

*In the general case, we get:
[tex]R=K\sin^{2}(x}[/tex]
where K is some arbitrary constant.

Last edited:
Thanks...apparently I couldn't think straight last night because that is really obvious now haha.

I didn't realize though that the constant 'K' in the general case will be there. I knew from the context of the problem that there would have to be a constant there, but I guess I didn't know how that got there either (the solution actually has 'K' in it in the book).

How does - ln (|sin(x_0)|^2 + |R_0|) translate to the constant 'k' in the general case? Is it a property of logrithms?

Last edited:
johnpjust said:
How does - ln (|sin(x_0)|^2 + |R_0|) translate to the constant 'k' in the general case? Is it a property of logrithms?

[tex]\ln(R) - \ln(R_0) = 2 (\ln(\sin x) - \ln (\sin x_0))[/tex]

[tex]\ln(R/R_0)) = 2 \ln(\sin x/\sin x_0)[/tex]

[tex]R/R_0 = \sin^2 x / \sin^2 x_0[/tex]

[tex]R = (R_0 / \sin^2 x_0) \sin^2 x[/tex]

1. What is meant by "skipped step" in integration?

A skipped step in integration refers to a missing or forgotten step in the process of solving an integral. This can happen due to human error or difficulty in understanding the problem.

2. How can I identify a skipped step in integration?

To identify a skipped step in integration, you can review your work and check for any missing or incorrect calculations. You can also compare your solution with the correct answer or consult with a peer or instructor.

3. What should I do if I have skipped a step in integration?

If you have identified a skipped step in integration, you can backtrack and try to solve the integral again, making sure to include the missing step. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources to better understand the concept and solve the problem correctly.

4. How can I prevent skipping steps in integration?

To prevent skipping steps in integration, it is important to have a good understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in solving integrals. Practice regularly and double check your work to ensure all steps are included. You can also seek help from a tutor or peer if you are unsure about a particular step.

5. Are there any tips for finding a skipped step in integration?

Some tips for finding a skipped step in integration include checking for consistent notation, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, and using multiple methods to solve the integral. It can also be helpful to take breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.