Problem with Nonunique Solutions

• Thread starter mkkrnfoo85
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation and finding nonunique solutions. The initial value problem is given and the solution is obtained by setting the initial condition to zero. The solution is then generalized to include other solutions, including negative values and a piecewise function with a given t_0 value. The conversation ends with a clarification on the validity of the generalization for negative values.
mkkrnfoo85
Hello all,

I am just having a problem understanding a problem in my textbook on nonunique solutions. Let me get to the problem:

So, consider the initial value problem:

[tex] y' = y^{1/3}\mbox{, } y(0) = y_0 = 0[/tex]
[tex]\mbox{for t}\geq 0[/tex]

So, solving for the differential equation, I get:

[tex]y = [\frac{2}{3}(t + C)]^{3/2}[/tex]

So, satisfying initial condition, [tex]0 = [\frac{2}{3}(0 + C)]^{3/2}[/tex]

So, [tex] C = 0[/tex]

[tex]y = [\frac{2}{3}(t)]^{3/2}[/tex]
, for [tex]t\geq 0[/tex]

So, that's all understandable to me.
But the answer in the book goes on to say that:

[tex]y = -[\frac{2}{3}(t)]^{3/2}[/tex]
, for [tex]t\geq 0[/tex]

is also a solution. And:

[tex] y = 0[/tex]
, for [tex]t\geq 0[/tex]

is also a solution. Finally, the answer says you can generalize the solultion to:

[tex]y = \chi (t) =\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0,&\mbox{ if }
0\leq t< t_0\\ \pm [\frac{2}{3}(t - t_0)]^{3/2}, & \mbox{ if } t\geq 0\end{array}\right[/tex]

This last part is very confusing for me. If someone could explain it, it would be very helpful. For example, if the value of [tex]t_0[/tex] was given, and it followed the generalization above, wouldn't values for [tex]0 \leq t < t_0[/tex] not be 0, but instead be undefined? Since, you can't do [tex](negative number)^{3/2}[/tex]
Right?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
-mk

Physics news on Phys.org
mkkrnfoo85 said:
Hello all,

I am just having a problem understanding a problem in my textbook on nonunique solutions. Let me get to the problem:

So, consider the initial value problem:

[tex] y' = y^{1/3}\mbox{, } y(0) = y_0 = 0[/tex]
[tex]\mbox{for t}\geq 0[/tex]

So, solving for the differential equation, I get:

[tex]y = [\frac{2}{3}(t + C)]^{3/2}[/tex]

So, satisfying initial condition, [tex]0 = [\frac{2}{3}(0 + C)]^{3/2}[/tex]

So, [tex] C = 0[/tex]

[tex]y = [\frac{2}{3}(t)]^{3/2}[/tex]
, for [tex]t\geq 0[/tex]

So, that's all understandable to me.
But the answer in the book goes on to say that:

[tex]y = -[\frac{2}{3}(t)]^{3/2}[/tex]
, for [tex]t\geq 0[/tex]

is also a solution.
Yes, it is.
[tex](-[\frac{2}{3}t]^{3/2})= -\frac{2}{3}[\frac{3}{2}t^{\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
while [tex](-[\frac{2}{3}t]^\frac{3}{2})^\frac{1}{3}][/tex] is exactly the same thing. Also, of course, y(0)= 0.

And:

[tex] y = 0[/tex]
, for [tex]t\geq 0[/tex]

is also a solution.
Absolutely: (0)'= 0 and (0)1/3= 0.

Finally, the answer says you can generalize the solultion to:

[tex]y = \chi (t) =\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0,&\mbox{ if }
0\leq t< t_0\\ \pm [\frac{2}{3}(t - t_0)]^{3/2}, & \mbox{ if } t\geq 0\end{array}\right[/tex]

This last part is very confusing for me. If someone could explain it, it would be very helpful. For example, if the value of [tex]t_0[/tex] was given, and it followed the generalization above, wouldn't values for [tex]0 \leq t < t_0[/tex] not be 0, but instead be undefined? Since, you can't do [tex](negative number)^{3/2}[/tex]
Right?

Well, yes. Perhaps that is why they specifically said [tex]t\geq 0[/tex]?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
-mk

You'er welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello mk,

Thank you for sharing your confusion about nonunique solutions. It can definitely be a tricky concept to understand.

First of all, let's define what a nonunique solution is. In mathematics, a solution is considered nonunique if there is more than one possible answer that satisfies the given conditions. In the context of differential equations, this means that there can be multiple functions that can be considered solutions to the same differential equation.

Now, let's take a closer look at the problem you mentioned. The differential equation y' = y^{1/3} is a separable equation, which means that we can separate the variables and solve for y. However, when we do this, we end up with a constant C that can take on any value. This is where the nonunique solutions come into play.

When we solve for y, we get y = [\frac{2}{3}(t + C)]^{3/2}. This is the general solution to the differential equation. However, we also need to consider the initial condition y(0) = 0. In this case, we can see that when C = 0, the function becomes y = 0. But, as you pointed out, this is not the only solution.

If we go back to the general solution, we can see that when C = -\frac{2}{3}t, the function becomes y = -[\frac{2}{3}(t)]^{3/2}. This is also a valid solution that satisfies the initial condition. In fact, any value of C that satisfies C = -\frac{2}{3}t will result in a solution that satisfies the initial condition.

Now, let's look at the last part of the answer that you mentioned. This is a generalization that takes into account all possible values of C. The function \chi(t) is defined as follows:

\chi (t) =\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0,&\mbox{if } 0\leq t< t_0\\ \pm [\frac{2}{3}(t - t_0)]^{3/2}, & \mbox{if } t\geq 0\end{array}\right

As you can see, when t is greater than or equal to 0, we have two possible solutions - one with the positive sign and one with the negative sign. This is because when t

What is a problem with nonunique solutions?

A problem with nonunique solutions occurs when there are multiple possible solutions to a given problem, rather than just one clear and correct solution.

Why is having nonunique solutions a problem?

Having nonunique solutions can be problematic because it can make it difficult to determine the best or most efficient solution, and it can lead to confusion and disagreement among those trying to solve the problem.

What can cause a problem to have nonunique solutions?

There are a few possible reasons for a problem to have nonunique solutions. It may be due to a lack of information or constraints, conflicting goals or priorities, or simply the complexity of the problem itself.

How can we address a problem with nonunique solutions?

One way to address a problem with nonunique solutions is to carefully consider the criteria or objectives for the problem and evaluate each potential solution based on those criteria. Collaborating with others and gathering more information can also help find the most appropriate solution.

Are there any benefits to having nonunique solutions?

While it may seem like having nonunique solutions is always a negative, there can actually be benefits to this situation. It allows for creativity and innovation in problem-solving, and it can also lead to multiple solutions being implemented simultaneously, potentially addressing different aspects of the problem.