Difference between Forward and Backward Fourier Transforms?

In summary, the main difference between forward and backward Fourier transforms is the sign in the exponent. While both transforms have reciprocal property for even functions, the introduction of the minus sign allows for a more general and reversible transform for any type of signal.
dimensionless
What is the difference between forward and backward Fourier transforms? I'm look:

[tex]
F(k) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x)\ e^{- i 2\pi k x }\,dx
[/tex]

[tex]
f(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} F(k)\ e^{ i 2\pi k x }\,dk
[/tex]

If I swap the x and the k in the second equation, the transforms are then:

[tex]
F(k) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x)\ e^{- i 2\pi k x }\,dx
[/tex]

[tex]
F(k) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x)\ e^{ i 2\pi x k }\,dx
[/tex]

and the only difference is the minus sign in the exponent. What gives? Why aren't the forward and backwards transforms identical?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually minus sign is introduced for generality.

Fourier transforms have reciprocal (reversible) property i.e., if you take Fourier transform on a signal two times you will end up with original signal. So if [tex] f(x) [/itex] is even function then both forward and inverse transforms can have the same sign and reciprocal property is valid. But if [tex] f(x) [/itex] is odd or neither even nor odd, then reciprocal property is lost (i.e, if you take FT two times you will end up with minus of original function) if you use same sign in forward and inverse transforms.

In order to generalize Fourier transform for any signal (even, odd, neither of two) and to preserve reciprocal property minus sign is introduced.

Related to Difference between Forward and Backward Fourier Transforms?

What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function or time series into its constituent frequencies. It allows us to analyze the frequency components of a signal and is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing.

What is the difference between a Forward and Backward Fourier Transform?

A Forward Fourier Transform is used to convert a function or time series from its original domain (usually time or space) to its representation in the frequency domain. A Backward Fourier Transform performs the inverse operation, converting from the frequency domain back to the original domain.

What are some applications of the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform has many applications in various fields, including signal processing, image processing, data compression, and solving differential equations. It is also used in spectroscopy to analyze the frequencies present in a signal, and in radio astronomy to analyze radio signals from space.

Is the Fourier Transform reversible?

Yes, the Fourier Transform is a reversible operation. The Backward Fourier Transform is the inverse of the Forward Fourier Transform, so applying it to a function or time series that has undergone a Forward Fourier Transform will return the original function or time series.

What is the relationship between the Forward and Backward Fourier Transforms?

The Forward and Backward Fourier Transforms are inverse operations of each other. This means that the Backward Fourier Transform can be seen as a "reverse" of the Forward Fourier Transform, and vice versa. They are both used to convert a function or time series between the time (or space) domain and the frequency domain.