Advances in michelson morley interferometer

In summary, there have been several advancements in the M-m experiment, including the use of lasers and masers, as well as modern round-trip tests. However, the video mentioned in the conversation appears to be of a poorly constructed experiment and is not a legitimate discovery. Precision optical experiments are typically conducted on thick granite slabs, and the observed distortions in the video may be due to gravity.
abluphoton
hello, i am curious to know more about advancements that has happened to the M-m experiment, i am studying relativity and recently saw a http://youtu.be/7T0d7o8X2-E" of a modified interferometer. anyone knows a book/blog/file that talks purely about this. thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That video is of a poorly constructed experiment. Precision optical experiments are done on very thick granite slabs, not a piece of sheet metal. I'm sure what he's seeing is distortion in his structure due to gravity. If it were a legitimate discovery, I believe there would have been four nulls per rotation, not two.

when i meant advances i was thinking of modern upgrades to the experiments, rotating table like in the video i posted. or maybe usage of laser or something as jtbell has told.

1. What is the Michelson Morley interferometer?

The Michelson Morley interferometer is an optical instrument used to measure the speed of light. It consists of two perpendicular mirrors and a half-silvered mirror, which splits a light beam in two and recombines them. Any difference in the two beams' travel time can be used to calculate the speed of light.

2. How does the Michelson Morley interferometer work?

The Michelson Morley interferometer works by splitting a light beam into two beams using a half-silvered mirror. The two beams travel perpendicular to each other and are then recombined using another half-silvered mirror. The resulting interference pattern is then observed, and any difference in the two beams' travel time can be used to determine the speed of light.

3. What are some applications of the Michelson Morley interferometer?

The Michelson Morley interferometer has been used for various scientific experiments, including measuring the speed of light, detecting changes in the Earth's rotation, and studying the properties of light. It has also been used in the development of laser technology and gravitational wave detectors.

4. What are the limitations of the Michelson Morley interferometer?

One of the main limitations of the Michelson Morley interferometer is that it can only measure the speed of light in a vacuum. It cannot accurately measure the speed of light through a medium such as air or glass. Additionally, the instrument is sensitive to external factors such as vibrations, temperature changes, and air currents, which can affect the accuracy of the measurements.

5. How has the Michelson Morley interferometer advanced over time?

The Michelson Morley interferometer has undergone many advancements since its creation in the late 19th century. It has been used in various scientific experiments, and its design has been modified to increase its accuracy and sensitivity. In recent years, it has also been incorporated into more advanced technologies such as gravitational wave detectors and precision measurement tools for optical components.