How to calculate vehicle speed ?

In summary, the speaker is working on an image processing project to calculate the speed of a vehicle using video frames. They are facing difficulty in computing the distance due to the vehicle's size changing as it moves away and the use of a nonlinear scale. They are seeking help in finding a solution and are using MATLAB software for coding. They suggest using the apparent size of the vehicle on the screen and a parallel distance scale in the shot to help determine the distance covered. However, the issue of nonlinear scale still remains and the speaker asks for further information about the camera and its properties.
ramdas
hello everyone ,i am doing my project in image processing.i am taking video of car moving on the road and taking video frames of the same.

i want to calculate speed of vehicle.using frame rate i can calculate the time elapsed by vehicle to cover some distance. but i have one difficulty, As the vehicle goes away its size goes down also we can’t use linear scale to compute the distance .for this can anybody help me for distance computation?
or is there any other way to calculate speed vehicle using image processing?
i am doing my coding using MATLAB software.
i am adding images ,so that u can get an idea about it..thank u

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the dimensions of the vehicle, then you can use the apparent size on the screen to tell you it's distance from the camera in each frame.

If you have a parallel distance scale in the shot (say a row of fence posts with a known separation) you can use that to help you work out the distance covered.

Likes 1 person
but sir,nonlinear scale is the biggest problem here.

Simon Bridge said:
If you know the dimensions of the vehicle, then you can use the apparent size on the screen to tell you it's distance from the camera in each frame.

If you have a parallel distance scale in the shot (say a row of fence posts with a known separation) you can use that to help you work out the distance covered.
but sir,nonlinear scale is the biggest problem here...

Why is that a problem ... if you know the dimensions and geometry of, at least, some of the objects in the frame?

Presumably you also know the properties of the camera - i.e. does the camera move about, or is it stationary?
What sort of lens is used? How high is the camera POV?

Is there something regularly spaced in the frame?

You have to use data from outside the picture to be able to analyse the picture.

I would recommend using a combination of techniques to accurately calculate the speed of the vehicle in your project. One approach could be using the frame rate and time elapsed, as you mentioned, to estimate the distance traveled by the vehicle. However, as you mentioned, the change in size of the vehicle in the video frames can make this calculation challenging.

To overcome this difficulty, you could use image processing techniques to track specific features of the vehicle, such as its wheels or license plate, as it moves through the video frames. By tracking these features, you can accurately measure the distance traveled by the vehicle and use this information to calculate its speed.

Another approach could be using multiple cameras to capture the vehicle from different angles and then using triangulation techniques to calculate its speed. This method can also help overcome the issue of the changing size of the vehicle in the video frames.

Additionally, you could also consider using radar or lidar technology to directly measure the speed of the vehicle. These technologies use electromagnetic waves to detect the motion of the vehicle and can provide more accurate and direct measurements of its speed.

In conclusion, there are various methods and techniques that can be used to calculate the speed of a vehicle in an image processing project. I would recommend exploring different approaches and choosing the one that best suits your project and provides the most accurate results.

FAQ: How to calculate vehicle speed ?

1. How do you calculate vehicle speed using distance and time?

To calculate vehicle speed, you need to divide the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is speed = distance / time. For example, if a car travels 100 miles in 2 hours, its speed would be 50 miles per hour.

2. What units are used to measure vehicle speed?

Vehicle speed is typically measured in miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h). However, other units such as meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s) may also be used.

3. Can vehicle speed be calculated without a speedometer?

Yes, vehicle speed can be calculated using a timer and measuring the distance traveled. For example, you can use a stopwatch to time how long it takes a car to travel a known distance, then use the formula speed = distance / time to calculate the speed.

4. How accurate is the calculation of vehicle speed?

The accuracy of the calculation of vehicle speed depends on the accuracy of the measurements used for distance and time. If the measurements are precise, the speed calculation will be accurate. However, factors such as changes in speed and direction, as well as external influences like wind and road conditions, can affect the accuracy of the calculation.

5. Can vehicle speed be calculated using GPS?

Yes, vehicle speed can be calculated using GPS (Global Positioning System). GPS can track the movement of a vehicle and measure the distance traveled and time taken, allowing for the calculation of speed. However, the accuracy of GPS speed measurements may vary depending on the GPS device and its location.