Steering angle for Autonomous vehicle

In summary, the conversation is about a student studying electronics engineering who is working on an autonomous vehicle for their final project and needs help calculating the steering angle based on the wheelbase, curvature of the road, and vehicle velocity. They were directed to a resource on Ackermann steering geometry and discussed the relationship between steering angle, lateral acceleration, and speed. They also mentioned the concept of understeer and how to determine it for a specific vehicle.
alex1994
Dear All,
Hello,
I'm studying electronics engineering and I'm new in vehicle dynamics,
Recently, I make an autonomous vehicle for my final project. In order to control steering angle of vehicle, I have difficulty to measure the steering angle based on curvature road and vehicle velocity.
Anybody can help me, how to calculate steering angle when wheelbase, curvature road and vehicle are already known?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks @billy_joule
I already read that kind of steering tutorial.
am I not wrong steering angle (δ) can be determined by δ=L/R
where
L = Wheelbase
R= Radius of curvature
But there isn't relation with the speed.
is the steering angle is same both at high or low speed?

alex1994 said:
is the steering angle is same both at high or low speed?
Generally, yes.

Steering angle usually varies with lateral acceleration ([itex]a_y[/itex]), which is related to speed ([itex]v[/itex]) and radius of curvature ([itex]R[/itex]) with the following equation: [itex]a_y = \frac{v^2}{R}[/itex].

The steering angle ([itex]\delta[/itex]), lateral acceleration (related to standard gravity [itex]g[/itex]) and wheelbase ([itex]L[/itex]) are related the following way:
[tex]\delta = \frac{L}{R} + K_{us}\frac{a_y}{g}[/tex]
Where [itex]K_{us}[/itex] is the understeer coefficient of the vehicle. If [itex]K_{us} = 0[/itex] then the vehicle is said to be «neutral steer» (steering angle independent of lateral acceleration); if [itex]K_{us} < 0[/itex] then the vehicle is said to be «oversteer».

Theoretically, based on the bicycle model, [itex]K_{us} = \frac{W_f}{C_f} - \frac{W_r}{C_r}[/itex], where [itex]W[/itex] is the normal weight acting on a tire and [itex]C[/itex] is the cornering stiffness of the tire ([itex]f[/itex] & [itex]r[/itex] subscripts are for «front» and «rear»). The cornering stiffness relates lateral tire force to slip angle.

In practice, [itex]K_{us}[/itex] for a given vehicle varies with lateral acceleration. The way to determine [itex]K_{us}[/itex] for a given vehicle following a path is by plotting the variable [itex]\frac{a_y}{g}[/itex] with respect to [itex]\frac{L}{R} - \delta[/itex] and evaluate:
[tex]\frac{d\left(\frac{a_y}{g}\right)}{d\left(\frac{L}{R} - \delta\right)} = - \frac{1}{K_{us}}[/tex]
From measurements taken within the vehicle, [itex]R = \frac{v}{\Omega_z}[/itex]. Where [itex]\Omega_z[/itex]is the yaw velocity of the vehicle.

Ref.: http://ca.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470170387.html, 2nd ed. by J.Y. Wong
kus-vs-ay.jpg
find-kus.jpg

Likes billy_joule

What is steering angle for Autonomous vehicle?

Steering angle is the measurement of the angle at which the wheels of an autonomous vehicle are turned in relation to the vehicle's longitudinal axis. It determines the direction in which the vehicle moves and is a crucial component in controlling the vehicle's movement.

How is steering angle calculated for an Autonomous vehicle?

The steering angle for an autonomous vehicle is typically calculated using sensors such as wheel position sensors, gyroscopes, and accelerometers. These sensors collect data on the vehicle's movement and orientation, which is then used to calculate the appropriate steering angle for the vehicle.

What factors affect the steering angle for an Autonomous vehicle?

There are several factors that can affect the steering angle for an autonomous vehicle, including the vehicle's speed, weight distribution, road conditions, and the desired direction of travel. These factors must be taken into account when calculating the appropriate steering angle for the vehicle.

How does steering angle affect the performance of an Autonomous vehicle?

The steering angle plays a crucial role in the overall performance of an autonomous vehicle. A well-calculated steering angle allows the vehicle to navigate accurately and smoothly, while an incorrect steering angle can result in erratic movements and potentially dangerous situations.

What are the safety considerations for steering angle in an Autonomous vehicle?

Safety is a top priority when it comes to steering angle for an autonomous vehicle. The steering angle must be carefully calculated and monitored to ensure the vehicle stays on its intended path and avoids potential collisions. Additionally, backup systems and emergency protocols should be in place in case of any malfunctions or unexpected situations.