Solving a Question on L'Hopital's Rule

In summary, L'Hopital's rule is used for evaluating limits that cannot be solved by factoring or using a Taylor polynomial. In the conversation, the rule was applied to approximate the velocity gradient at the critical point in a differential equation. The result was \pm \frac{a}{r}, where a is the sound speed and r is the critical point. This was obtained by taking the limit of a fraction using L'Hopital's rule, and then using it as an approximation for the actual value of the fraction near the critical point.
Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Having trouble with a question on L'Hopital's rule. I have never come across it must have misseda lecture. From what I understand the rule approximates values at a limit. Here's what I have anyway.

I've derived a velocity gradient for a spherically symmetric, isothermal stellar wind as follows.

[tex]\frac{dv}{dr}=\frac{2a^2}{r}(1-\frac{r_c}{r})\frac{v}{(v^2-a^2)} [/tex]

where a is the sound speed and [tex]v=a[/tex] at the critical point [tex]r=r_c[/tex]

So apparently when applying L'Hopital's rule I can approximate the velocity gradient as

[tex](\frac{dv}{dr})_r_c=+or-\frac{a}{r_c}[/tex]

When I apply the limits all I can come up with is the following and I do not understand what Ihave to do to get the quoted answer.

[tex](\frac{dv}{dr})_r_c=\frac{2a^2}{r_c}[/tex]

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Firsrtly limit of what as what tends to where?

L'hopital states that if as x->k f(x) and g(x) both tend to zero that lim as x tends to k of f/g is the lim as x tends to k of f'/g'

how does that relate to your question?

Basically I'm just trying to estimate the velocity gradient at the critical point (i.e. when v->a and r->rc). The use of l'hopital's rule was suggested in the question and the answer that is produced from application of the rule was the second equation I wrote down there.

I just have trouble applying the rule as I have never heard of it until the question was set.

Yeah, l'hopitals rule is used for evaluating limits which turn out to be 0/0 or inf/inf when it can't be done by factoring and cancelling or by using a taylor polynomial.

I'm not sure I see the application.. suppose I should leave it to someone with a bit more knowledge.

Last edited:
At first I was a bit puzzled by the statement that L'Hopital's rule "approximates" anything- then I figured out what was going on. As Matt Grime said, L'Hopital's rule says that if g-> 0 and h-> 0 then h/g has the same limit as h'/g' (' meaning derivative). That's not an "approximation", that's exactly true. HOWEVER, what is going on here is that you are using the limit to approximate the VALUE of the function close to the critical point.
Your equation is:
[tex]\frac{dv}{dr}=\frac{2a^2}{r}(1-\frac{r_c}{r})\frac{v}{(v^2-a^2)} [/tex]
We can rewrite the right hand side as
[tex]\frac{2a^2v}{r^2}\frac{r-r_c}{v^2-a^2}[/tex]
and now as r-> rc, v->a so that last fraction is "0/0".

Using L'Hopital on just that last fraction, its limit as r-> rc would b
[tex]\frac{1}{2vv'}[/tex]
(Since we are taking the limit as r-> rc, we take the derivative with respect to r- hence that "v'" in the denominator.)

Using that limit as an approximation for the actual value of the fraction near rc, the differential equation becomes
[tex]\frac{dv}{dr}= \frac{2a^2v}{r^2}\frac{1}{2v\frac{dv}{dr}}[/tex]
or
[tex](\frac{dv}{dr})^2= \frac{a^2}{r^2}[/tex]
resulting in
[tex]\frac{dv}{dv}= +/- \frac{a}{r} [/tex]

Cute!

Thanks for finishing that off - I was really concerned because I didn't understand where the o had come from in [tex]+or-\frac{a}{r}[/tex] and my idea of how to work it out was not going to produce something that looked correct with an r term and a 1/r term.

It just didn't click that it was the word or.

Thanks very much HallsofIvy and matt. I thought I'd gotten past the difficult bit when I had to derive the velocity gradient but my understanding of the rule was somewhat lacking. It is all clear now though and I apologise for any ambiguity in my explanation.

It's just a side effect of typesetting in tex that it treats all letters as variables and guesses how to space things accordingly. It was just compounded with there being an r in the original equation.

1. What is L'Hopital's Rule?

L'Hopital's Rule is a mathematical technique used to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that the limit of a quotient of two functions that approach 0/0 or ∞/∞ can be found by taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately and then evaluating the limit again.

2. When is L'Hopital's Rule applicable?

L'Hopital's Rule can only be used when the original limit is in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It is not applicable for limits that are already in a determinate form, such as 2/3 or 5/6.

3. How do I know when to use L'Hopital's Rule?

If you encounter a limit that is in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞, then you can use L'Hopital's Rule. However, it is important to first check if the limit can be evaluated by other techniques, such as algebraic manipulation or substitution, before resorting to L'Hopital's Rule.

4. Are there any limitations to using L'Hopital's Rule?

Yes, there are some limitations to using L'Hopital's Rule. It can only be applied to limits involving quotient of two functions, and the functions must be differentiable in the given interval. Additionally, it may not work for limits that are not in an indeterminate form, and it may not always give the correct answer if used incorrectly.

5. Can L'Hopital's Rule be used for infinite limits?

Yes, L'Hopital's Rule can be used for infinite limits, as long as the limit is in an indeterminate form. In this case, the limit will either approach positive or negative infinity, depending on the signs of the numerator and denominator after taking the derivative.