Vector Resolution: Engineering Math Exam Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a recent engineering math exam where one of the questions required the resolution of three force vectors to find their magnitude. The individual considered adding up the components and taking the square root to be the correct procedure. It was confirmed that this was the right approach and the question was relatively easy.
pat666

Homework Statement

hey, we just had our engineering math exam and one of the questions wanted us to resolve 3 force vectors (find the magnitude). I don't remember the exact values but it was something like F_1=1i-j+2k F_2=3i+j+3k and F_3=-2i+j+k all i could think to do was add up the i j and k components and then square and add and take the square root of that. just wandering whether that is the right procedure or not?/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asked to find the magnitude of each vector?

no the resultant magnitude

Then what you did is correct. First, you find the resultant force. Then calculate its magnitude.

Last edited:
it was meant to be a relatively easy question (only worth 5 marks) i was just unsure because of how easy it was. thanks again

Related to Vector Resolution: Engineering Math Exam Question

1. What is vector resolution?

Vector resolution is the process of breaking down a single vector into its horizontal and vertical components.

2. Why is vector resolution important in engineering?

Vector resolution is important in engineering because it allows engineers to analyze and manipulate complex vectors in a simpler way by breaking them down into their components. This can help in solving problems related to forces, motion, and structures.

3. How do you find the horizontal and vertical components of a vector?

The horizontal and vertical components of a vector can be found using trigonometric functions. The horizontal component is found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of its angle, while the vertical component is found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the sine of its angle.

4. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities only have magnitude, while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalar quantities include speed, temperature, and mass, while examples of vector quantities include velocity, force, and displacement.

5. Can vector resolution be applied to three-dimensional vectors?

Yes, vector resolution can be applied to three-dimensional vectors by breaking them down into their x, y, and z components. This can be done using trigonometric functions and the Pythagorean theorem.