Oil properties in setup of CFX

In summary, the properties of oil play a crucial role in the setup of CFX simulations as they are used to define the behavior and characteristics of the fluid being modeled. The most accurate way to obtain oil properties for a CFX simulation is to refer to reliable sources such as published data or data provided by the oil manufacturer. It is possible to use different oil properties for different parts of the simulation domain, but changes in oil properties can affect the accuracy of the results. There may be limitations to the types of oil properties available in CFX, but custom properties can be defined using user-defined functions or equations as long as they are physically realistic and appropriate for the simulation.
daftdave11
Hi

i am carrying out CFD analysis on a valve and i would like to use a material of OIL as the fluid body. i have already carried out simulations with water and air, can anyone tell me were i can find the properties of oil (ie density 918kg/m³) in the materials library as at the moment this has me stumped. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on the type of oil you're using. Once you know the composition, you should be able to look it up online, or in any materials handbook.

1. What is the role of oil properties in the setup of CFX?

The properties of oil play a crucial role in the setup of CFX simulations as they are used to define the behavior and characteristics of the fluid being modeled. These properties include density, viscosity, thermal conductivity, and specific heat capacity, among others.

2. How do I obtain accurate oil properties for my CFX simulation?

The most accurate way to obtain oil properties for a CFX simulation is to refer to reliable sources such as published data from reputable organizations or data provided by the oil manufacturer. It is important to ensure that the properties used are appropriate for the specific conditions being simulated.

3. Can I use different oil properties for different parts of my CFX simulation?

Yes, in CFX it is possible to define different material properties for different parts of the simulation domain. This can be useful if there are variations in the oil properties due to changes in temperature, pressure, or other factors.

4. How do changes in oil properties affect the accuracy of my CFX simulation?

The accuracy of a CFX simulation can be affected by changes in oil properties, particularly if the properties are not well-defined or if there are large variations in the properties over the simulation domain. It is important to use accurate and appropriate properties to ensure the reliability of the results.

5. Are there any limitations to the types of oil properties that can be used in CFX?

CFX has a wide range of built-in options for defining oil properties, but there may be cases where certain properties are not available. In such cases, it is possible to define custom properties using user-defined functions or equations. However, it is important to ensure that these custom properties are physically realistic and appropriate for the simulation being conducted.