Conservation of flow in a pump

In summary, the conversation discusses a simulation code for a surge tank system and the question of whether a centrifugal pump with a set flowrate of 500 GPM is equivalent to the conservation of mass or volume. It is concluded that for incompressible fluids like water, the two are the same, but for gases, it only refers to volume flow rate. The question of whether the pump is actually moving 500 GPM or the mass equivalent over time is also raised. Additionally, the conversation briefly mentions a CFD simulation found online.
natedogg1002
Hello.

I am writing a relatively simple simulation code for looking at transient temperatures in a surge tank, which reflects a real-world system. The tank is hooked up to a recirculation loop with a pump and a heat exchanger. The pump has an average flowrate of 500 GPM. Despite the temperature therefore density of the water it is pumping, the pump moves "500 GPM".

So my question is: When a centrifugal pump has a set flowrate of 500 GPM, is that equivalent to the conservation of mass or conservation of volume?

No amount of Googling seems to have brought me any conclusions, though I have come to understand that positive displacement pumps are different than centrifugal pumps when it comes to this particular topic.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For water (or any other "incompressible" fluid), the two are the same since density doesn't vary.

In a gas, this would refer only to volume flow rate.

Ok, but what if the density does change over time? For example, my tank is hooked up to a recirculating loop with a heat exchanger. As time goes by, the water temperature in the tank rises about 100°F -- corresponding to a change in density of ~2 lb/ft³.

Is the pump actually moving 500 GPM, or the mass equivalent over time?

A gallon is a unit of volume, not mass.

1. What is conservation of flow in a pump?

Conservation of flow in a pump refers to the principle that the amount of fluid entering a pump must be equal to the amount of fluid leaving the pump. This ensures that there is no loss of fluid and maintains a steady flow rate.

2. Why is conservation of flow important in pumps?

Conservation of flow is important in pumps because it ensures that the pump is operating properly and efficiently. If there is a loss of fluid, it can lead to decreased performance and potential damage to the pump.

3. How does conservation of flow impact the design of a pump?

The principle of conservation of flow is a critical factor in the design of a pump. The flow rate, inlet and outlet sizes, and the shape and size of the impeller are all carefully considered to ensure that there is no loss of fluid and the pump can operate at its maximum efficiency.

4. Can conservation of flow be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as changes in temperature, pressure, or viscosity of the fluid can impact the conservation of flow in a pump. This is why it is important for pumps to be regularly monitored and maintained to ensure proper operation.

5. How can conservation of flow be achieved in a pump?

To achieve conservation of flow in a pump, it is important to ensure that the pump is properly sized and designed for the specific application. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the pump's performance is also necessary to identify and address any potential issues that may impact the conservation of flow.