Can Activated Carbon Powder Fly Using Atmospheric Electric Field?

• Thread starter NERV
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of using activated carbon powder to create a floating can by balancing electric force and gravity. The necessary conditions for the powder to hold electricity and calculations for the required electric potential are also mentioned. One person suggests that the electric field strength mentioned may be incorrect, providing a source for reference.
NERV
As it is known to all,the atmospheric electric field does exists.In fact,near the ground its strength is about 100N/m.That's enough for my design.

Let's get some activated carbon powder.I think we can regard them as smooth,conductive balls with density(ρ)=2.7g/cm3,r=1×10-5m。If we want a can which has been filled with the powder float in the air by balancing the electric force and gravity,we need to charge the powder so that it can hold an amount of electricity.

Here I gave my calculation. I regarded each of these balls as an isolated conductor,which may lead to error.If anyone has some good ideas,please tell me.

C=4πε0r,FE=qE=UCE=4πε0rUE
if a charged ball can fly:
FE≥mg
∴U≥ρgr2/(3ε0E)
Substitute ρ=2.7×103kg/m3,g=10m/s2,r=1×10-5m,ε0=8.85×10-12(C/V.m),E=100N/m,we get

U≥1017V.
This is amazing.If we use U=2034V,we will get one more lifting force(equals the powder's gravity).

Physics news on Phys.org

I must say that this idea of using charged activated carbon powder to create lift is intriguing. The concept of using the atmospheric electric field to generate lift is not new, but your approach of using activated carbon powder as conductive balls is unique.

Your calculations seem reasonable and show that it is possible for the powder to generate enough lift to overcome gravity. However, it is important to note that this is a theoretical calculation and there may be other factors that could affect the actual lift generated. It would be beneficial to conduct experiments to validate these calculations and see if the powder can actually fly in this way.

Additionally, it is important to consider the potential risks and safety concerns of using high voltage in this manner. It would be necessary to take precautions to ensure the safety of individuals and the environment.

Overall, I think this is a promising idea and I encourage you to continue exploring it. Perhaps with further research and experimentation, we can find a way to make this concept a reality. Keep up the good work.

1. Can we fly in this way?

It depends on the specific way you are referring to. Some ways of flying may be possible, while others may not be practical or safe.

2. Is this method of flying safe?

The safety of any method of flying depends on several factors, including the skill of the pilot, the condition of the aircraft, and the weather conditions. It is important to carefully assess these factors before attempting any type of flight.

3. How does this method of flying differ from traditional methods?

This can vary greatly depending on the specific method you are referring to. Some methods may involve different types of aircraft or equipment, while others may require different training or techniques.

4. Are there any potential benefits to flying in this way?

Yes, there may be benefits to certain methods of flying, such as increased speed or maneuverability. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential risks and drawbacks as well.

5. What are the limitations of flying in this way?

The limitations of flying in a certain way may include technical limitations, safety concerns, and regulatory restrictions. It is important to thoroughly research and understand these limitations before attempting any type of flight.

Back