Calculating Potential from Charge Density via Poisson Equation

In summary, the conversation discussed using MD-simulations to calculate the potential in a capacitor-like system with charged electrodes and an ionic liquid in between. The potential is a superposition of the linear electrode potential and the potential contribution from ions. The potential can be calculated by using the charge density and the Poisson equation, with the specific expression given by \Psi(z)=-\frac{4 \pi}{\epsilon^*} \int_0^z (z-z') \rho(z')dz'. This can also be derived using the method of splitting the system into infinite sheets and summing the contributions from each sheet.
corroded_b
Hi,
I'm doing MD-simulations in a capacitor-like system: 2 charged electrodes with a dense ionic liquid in between (non-diluted) with periodic boundaries in 2 dimensions (so for the electrodes I get infinite planes (xy) ,charged).

I want to get the potential [itex]U(z)[/itex] along the z-axis (witch is perpendicular to the electrodes). This is the superposition of the linear electrode pot. and the potential contribution of the ions.

So I calculate the charge density [itex]\rho(z)[/itex] and use the poisson equation [itex]\nabla^2\Psi=-\frac{\rho}{\epsilon}[/itex] to get the potential.

Now, in the http://pubs.acs.org/doi/suppl/10.1021/jp803440q/suppl_file/jp803440q_si_002.pdf" (page 3 on top) this potential (in gaussian units) is written as [itex]\Psi(z)=-\frac{4 \pi}{\epsilon^*} \int_0^z (z-z') \rho(z')dz' [/itex]. Can someone explain/proof this expression?

Thanks,
corro

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Ok, got think I got it now:

I calculated the charge density [itex]\rho(z)[/itex] by splitting the system in infinite sheets (or boxes in practical numerics). The surface charge on sheet [itex]n[/itex] is [itex]\sigma_n[/itex].

One sheet at position [itex]z_n[/itex] gives me the potential [itex]\Psi(z)=-\frac{4 \pi}{\epsilon^*}\sigma_n (z-z_n)[/itex].

For a continuous charge density I get the integral expression [itex]\Psi(z)=-\frac{4 \pi}{\epsilon^*} \int_0^z \rho(z') (z-z') dz' [/itex].

Correct?

I think you certainly can do it this way, by the linearity of the electric field contributed by each layer of charge of sheet density [itex]\sigma[/itex]n(zn)=[itex]\rho[/itex](z)dz, and then sum up (integrated with respect to z) the contribution to the potential of all layer of [itex]\rho[/itex](z)dz from 0 to z.

The mathematical formality is as followed, but it is equivalent to the method you employed (if I understood you correctly as stated above), starting with Gauss's law over unit area Gaussian column extending from electrode at 0 to z,

-[itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex]=[itex]\int^{z}_{0}[/itex][itex]\rho[/itex](z[itex]^{'}[/itex])dz[itex]^{'}[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{z}_{0}[/itex][itex]\nabla\psi[/itex]dz[itex]^{'}[/itex]=-[itex]\frac{1}{\epsilon}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{z}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{z^{'}}_{0}[/itex][itex]\rho[/itex](z[itex]^{''}[/itex])dz[itex]^{''}[/itex]dz[itex]^{'}[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{z}_{0}[/itex]d[itex]\psi[/itex]=-[itex]\frac{1}{\epsilon}[/itex]{z[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{z}_{0}[/itex][itex]\rho[/itex](z[itex]^{'}[/itex])dz[itex]^{'}[/itex]-[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{z}_{0}[/itex]z[itex]^{'}[/itex][itex]\rho[/itex](z[itex]^{'}[/itex])dz[itex]^{'}[/itex]}
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex](z)=-[itex]\frac{1}{\epsilon}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{z}_{0}[/itex](z-z[itex]^{'}[/itex])[itex]\rho[/itex](z[itex]^{'}[/itex])dz[itex]^{'}[/itex]

Note : Integrate by parts the right hand side of 2nd eqn to arrive at the 3rd eqn.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Potential from Charge Density via Poisson Equation

1. How is the charge density determined in the Poisson equation?

The charge density is typically determined experimentally by measuring the charge on an object or by calculating it based on the distribution of charges within a system.

2. What is the significance of calculating potential from charge density via Poisson equation?

The Poisson equation allows for the determination of the electric potential in a system based on the charge density. This is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and the effects of charged particles on their surroundings.

3. What are the assumptions made in using the Poisson equation?

The Poisson equation assumes that the charge density is continuous and that the system is in equilibrium, meaning that the charges are not moving.

4. Can the Poisson equation be used in all situations involving electric charges?

The Poisson equation is most commonly used in situations where the charge distribution is continuous and the system is in equilibrium. In cases where the charge distribution is not continuous or the system is not in equilibrium, other equations may be more appropriate.

5. How is the Poisson equation related to Gauss's law?

The Poisson equation is a mathematical expression of Gauss's law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is proportional to the enclosed charge. The Poisson equation relates the electric potential to the charge density, allowing for the calculation of potential in a given system.